Chapter 48 - Brunch

"Hey, [Name]. [Name]. Are you awake?"

You groaned as you heard incessant tapping and calling coming from your bedroom window one morning, and checked the time. It was only ten. Begrudgingly throwing off your blankets and trudging towards your window, you ripped open the curtain to see Sasuke standing outside your window with his hand leaning against the glass.

"Sasuke," you whined, clutching your head in exasperation. "I thought today was a day off! We aren't due to choose decorations for the reception until next week. Our kimono measurements have been done. We've bought our outfits for the reception. We've chosen the cake, sorted out the catering, printed and sent out all our invitations. DJ has been hired, friends who want to make speeches and do whatever have been organised into a draft timetable. We agreed to start moving my things after the reception has been finalised, and the guest list as well. What else is there?!"

After listing everything you could think of off the top of your head, you sighed and opened the window without another word.

"Actually, I was wondering if you'd... like to hang out."

"Hang out?" You scratched your head as the Uchiha invited himself into your room, frowning at him with a perplexed expression on your face.

"Once you've cleaned up, obviously," said Sasuke, scrunching up his nose as he headed towards your bedroom door. "Why don't we go for brunch?"

"Since when did you do brunch?"

"Well, considering you just woke up, I think it's safe to assume you haven't eaten yet."

Helping himself out of the room, Sasuke shut the door. Shutting your window, you groaned and threw yourself back down onto your bed.

***

"What's up?" As you and Sasuke ate together, you asked the Uchiha what was wrong for him to so suddenly ask you out like this.

"What do you mean 'what's up?'"

"Why did you want to hang out?"

Sasuke's face was unreadable as you asked him your question, and you couldn't tell whether or not he was judging you from behind his cold gaze.

"Am I not allowed to ask for your company?" he asked stiffly, catching you off guard as you picked up your glass and took a swig of orange juice.

"No, of course not!" you managed to spurt out, hurriedly gulping your juice. "It's just- you caught me off guard, that's all! You're never the one who instigates hang outs... you barely show up to the ones you're invited to..."

"Well, others are usually present at those hang outs. I don't need to interact with them."

"Alright, Mister Selectively Social," you snorted, continuing to munch on your brunch.

"[Name], this is a date. You seem to keep forgetting that we're engaged. Don't couples usually enjoy dates together?"

You choked at Sasuke's sudden words, even though you knew he was speaking the truth.

"Ah, right," you said, face growing hot in embarrassment. "Sorry."

"I don't know how you keep forgetting, though. All we've been talking about lately is our upcoming wedding."

"Sorry, it's just- the wedding just feels like an obligation," you said in a low voice, hoping no one was listening. "I mean, I like you, really, but I can't get Yuki out of my head. Honestly, we wouldn't be getting married if it wasn't for her demanding bitchass, right?"

"Right." Sasuke sighed. "But it doesn't hurt to try and do normal things couples do, right? Why don't we try to at least have a little fun?"

You smiled at Sasuke as you put down your knife and fork.

"You seem to have been really stressed out recently too," added the Uchiha, shrugging as he picked up his glass. "I know all you want is some sleep to clear your head, but I wanted to spend some time with you too. You know, time where we aren't worrying about our impending wedding."

"That's... surprising, coming from you. But a pleasant surprise."

"Can we do this more often?" Sasuke's next question took you aback even more.

"Yeah! Please!"

You grinned brightly at the Uchiha as he finished his drink, then set his glass back down on the table.

"How about... a little walk?" he suggested, noting that both of you were finished eating. "And we can... talk."

"That sounds great." Smiling at the Uchiha as you made to pull out your money, he held out his hand and prompted you to stop.

"Don't. I'll pay."

"Sasu-"

"Don't worry," he snorted, standing up. "There'll be plenty of things for us to go fifty-fifty on after we're married.

"True, true. Thank you for brunch, Sasuke."

"And thank you for waking up for me."

As you followed Sasuke to the register, you couldn't help but feel like it was going to be a good day.