Chapter 25 - Proposal

Although Sasuke knew Yuki was outside his bedroom door before he exited, it didn't deter him from stepping out.

"Sasuke-kun!" Upon hearing the princess' squeaky voice, the shinobi bowed curtly in her direction.

"Good evening, Princess Yuki," he said monotonously, making the princess giggle. "Are you on your way to dinner as well?"

"Yup!" The way she laughed put Sasuke on edge, but he didn't know whether or not that was because he found her annoying or intimidating. It was crucial for the Hokage to receive a good report of Sasuke's performance, and he wanted to make sure he got nothing but the best out of Yuki and her parents.

"Splendid. Shall we go together then?"

You sound like a nerd, thought Sasuke forlornly as he walked ahead of the princess, assuming his usual bodyguard position. However, she managed to speed up to his side and grab him by his arm, eventually latching onto him.

"Uh..." Yuki giggled and squeezed Sasuke's arm, laying her head against his shoulder as they made their way to the dining hall.

"You were very brave for doing that mission," she said sweetly, her grip on his arm tightening with every step. Not wanting to be held onto any longer, Sasuke closed his eyes and willed himself not to do anything rash. He needed to leave a good impression on the princess, no matter what. "Thank you so much for your help."

"Actually, [Name] did most of the work," said the Uchiha, clearing his throat as the grand dining room came into sight. At the mention of your name, Yuki rolled her eyes in disdain.

"All she had to do was pretend to be me. Anyone would kill for that opportunity!"

"Here we go, we've arrived." Breaking away from Yuki, Sasuke rushed towards the door and held it open for the princess, making her titter in pleasant surprise.

"Such a gentleman," she cooed, curtsying before walking into the room. "I would've been satisfied if my ex-fiance were even half the man you are."

"Aha."

"Am I late?!" Sasuke looked down the corridor to see you hurrying towards him, wearing a white blouse tucked into your black dress pants.

"Look at you," he mused, eyebrow raised as he held the door open for you. Your hair had been slicked back into a neat bun, and for a second he appreciated the chic you emanated.

"Look at you," you scowled in annoyance, barging past him into the room. Dinners with royalty weren't your thing, and you and Sasuke both knew that.

"Sasuke, [Name], welcome!" Sasuke walked into the dining room after you and joined your side, bowing to the royals before taking his seat. The king sat at the head of the table, with his wife and daughter sitting on his right. You and Sasuke sat opposite of the queen and princess, and upon making eye contact with Yuki, you forced a little smile in order to seem amicable. However, she scowled and rolled her eyes at you, and you curled your hands into fists underneath the tabletop.

You stupid... ughhhhhh!

Internally raging at the princess' rudeness, you had to refocus yourself as the king rose to his feet.

"Tonight, we thank the Konoha shinobi for their services not only to our family, but the Land of Ice in its entirety! Sasuke Uchiha, [Name] [Surname]. On behalf of all of us here, thank you very much. We are grateful for your assistance in such an important matter."

You and Sasuke both bowed your heads at the royals, expressing your acceptance of their words.

"Now, let us feast!"