Chapter 34 - It Begins!

"Yo... so... I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to right now, but there's no better time to face the facts than the present, right?"

Hearing your own words, you gasped and covered your mouth, knowing instantly that that was not the smartest thing to say.

"Oh my god, I didn't mean it that way," you said hurriedly as you walked beside the sobbing Haruno, brushing away your crass words. "Hold on. What I meant to say was, don't give up now! I mean, you know, me and Sasuke are both young, yes, this was a very stupid, spur of the moment decision made by both of us- what was I saying? Oh!"

You jumped in front of the Haruno and grabbed her by the shoulders, looking her intensely in the eye. She stopped in her tracks and reluctantly met your gaze, her eyes still overflowing with tears. The guilt continued to consume you, but you knew that it was the perfect catalyst to spur you on.

"Listen, Sakura. You never know what's gonna happen," you said reassuringly, squeezing her shoulders tenderly. "I mean, Sasuke and I might change our minds later on and realise that we're just not meant for each other. We haven't set a date yet, and knowing us, there probably won't be a wedding at all for a couple of years! I mean, if there even is one at all. Time changes feelings, and people. Sasuke-"

"Don't say that." Sakura spoke to you in a strong voice, catching you off guard.

"Huh?"

"[Name], do you really love Sasuke?" demanded the Haruno, now regaining her composure.

"Of course I do!" you said in an unconvincing manner, giving her the thumbs up. "Yes!"

"If you really love Sasuke, then stop saying all of that," said Sakura, looking away. "I know what Sasuke's like. If you two have managed to come this far together, I don't expect anything less than marriage from either of you. I know you'll both deal with things in your own time, whether it be two years or ten. Please stop saying that Sasuke's feelings for you will change. Because they won't."

You were gobsmacked by Sakura's words, thrown off track and right under the train that was zooming across it.

"What about your feelings, [Name]? What will become of them?"

You chewed your tongue as you thought carefully about your words, knowing that they would greatly impact Sakura's view of you.

"To be perfectly honest with you, Sakura, my feelings for Sasuke right now... aren't where I want them to be," you said sheepishly, deciding to play the heartfelt card. "So much has happened recently, and it's because of my doubt in myself that I've started doubting Sasuke. To answer your question,  I really hope that my feelings for Sasuke will grow. I don't want to marry him if I can't love him the same way I hope he loves me.

"It's kind of hard for me to tell with him, considering he's the biggest tsundere of them all, and I myself don't exactly have the best reputation for self-esteem when it comes to situations like this. But when you put it that way, all I can say to you is that although Sasuke's feelings won't change, mine definitely will. I can guarantee you..."

Oh god. I can't believe I'm saying this.

You felt a warmth spread throughout your body as you thought of your next sentence, feeling fuzzy and calm inside.

"I can guarantee you, they'll change because I'll love Sasuke a thousand times more than I do now. It's a work in progress. But hey, not every relationship is perfect, right?"

At this point in time, Sakura's tears had ceased, and she now stood with her arms crossed, eyeing you out thoroughly. You breathed a sigh of relief as you got everything out in the open, and punched yourself in the chest for being honest for once.