Chapter 46 - Let's Go!

"You say you want a wedding ceremony to be done at this shrine on the twenty ninth of next month?"

As soon as you and Sasuke had returned to Konoha and given Tsunade her much anticipated money, it was straight to planning the big day. The head monk who you were speaking to raised an eyebrow at the sight of you and the Uchiha standing awkwardly before him, neither of you having the slightest idea on what exactly you were meant to say.

"Um... yes," you said nervously, scratching the back of your head. "If possible."

"You're both a bit young to be getting married, aren't you?"

"Yeah, we kind of have a deadline to meet if we want to get on with our lives," said Sasuke coldly, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes at the monk. "If you're worried about money, we have it. Can we use this shrine?"

As he spoke with an indifferent expression on his face, Sasuke pulled out his wallet and presented a wad of notes to the monk, immediately suspending all doubts.

"Of course! What time would suit you two best?"

You glanced at Sasuke as the monk changed his tune.

"What time do you want, [Name]?" asked the Uchiha, keeping an eye on the monk eyeing out his wallet rather than at you.

"Does midday sound reasonable?" you suggested, not knowing what time weddings were usually held at. Although on your days off you slept well past midday, you remembered that you had to consider other guests and their availability.

"Midday. The twenty ninth." Sasuke nodded curtly at the monk, snapping his wallet shut. "Where do we place our booking?"

"Follow me."

The monk turned on his heel and led you and Sasuke into a little office situated just outside the shrine, where he sat at a desk and beckoned for the two of you to sit in the seats opposite him.

"Now we haven't had a wedding here since before the war, so I'm a bit forgetful about these things," chuckled the monk, rummaging through his drawers. "Ah, here it is. Now, did you two want a traditional wedding, or an easy, modern one?"

At this point, Sasuke looked over at you for an opinion.

"I don't mind either," you said passively, waving your hands in the air. "At the end of the day, we're still married. But what do you want?"

Sasuke frowned, rubbing his chin as if in deep thought.

"I mean, we could have a traditional ceremony and then a normal reception. Wear our kimono at the ceremony, then get changed for the reception. What do you think?"

"Sounds good to me. Gotta make it as lavish as possible if we want to please Yuki."

"Traditional," said Sasuke, looking back at the monk. "Now I assume that comes with someone to officiate the ceremony, right?"

"Naturally. And how many guests are you planning on having for the main ceremony? Traditional weddings dictate that usually only close family members attend, but nowadays people tend to invite whoever they like."

You stifled a snort at the mention of "family members," and looking over at Sasuke, you could tell he shared the same thought as you.

"Um... we'd have to get back to you on that," you said sheepishly, immediately thinking of all the guests you had to invite- not just your friends, but for the sake of being polite, all the political allies that Sasuke had offended during his... rebellious period. "We kind of chose this place because it has the biggest seating area out of all the local shrines. How many people can you sit at maximum capacity?"

"Hoping that it's a fine day, I'd say around three hundred."

"Surely we won't have three hundred people turn up," scoffed Sasuke, disbelieving of the thought that the two of you even knew three hundred people you liked enough to invite to your festivities.

"You never know," you said cautiously, shaking your head. "We'll get back to you on numbers. What else is there?"

"In the case of a wedding reception, there's a hotel that's five minutes away with a good venue for a reception that you two might want to have a look at after this. The ceremony is the easy bit; it's the reception I'd focus on if I were you two."

"Huh. Alright."

You and Sasuke spoke to the monk a bit more as you discussed your options for your big day, and all the while, you couldn't bring yourself to believe what was happening.

"... your reservation is noted and booked! Congratulations in advance, Mr and Mrs Uchiha!"

"That's the second time I've heard that, and quite frankly, I could do without hearing it," you said weakly, rising from your seat. "Thank you."

"No problem! We'll have everything prepared perfectly!"

As Sasuke stood up to follow you out of the office, you noticed the monk staring curiously at the Uchiha; however, you didn't think much of it, because you were soon being ushered out of the door.

"That's one thing over and done with," muttered Sasuke in a complaining voice, hurrying you along. "Let's go check out that hotel he was talking about."

"My god," you uttered breathlessly, needing Sasuke to keep pushing you forward because of how weak your legs had become. "This isn't a nightmare. This is happening. Holy shit. Marriage."

"... then a little baby in a carriage."

"Don't push it, Sasuke. I may not be able to end this wedding, but I won't hesitate to end you."

"Feisty. I like it."