RK200 | Remedy

Elka lowered her weapon, hoping to instil confidence in herself, even a meagre amount to settle her nerves. 

"How did you know?" Connor muttered, his expression confused. 

The androids released breaths of relief, though Connor was caught off guard as Elka wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him quickly. The RK800 flushed an azure hue. 

"Come on, we have a revolution to win."  She muttered, a broad smile across her face. She extended her hand to the male android, posture firm and steady. Connor couldn't help feeling respect for her. Amongst the other swirling emotions, he had yet to untangle.

He reached out connecting their hands. Their synthetic skin peeled away where they touched. Elka turned away, tugging him along in their race to the exit.

-

Cars were overturned, windows smashed. Humans fled for their lives as their machines turned against them. No one stopped to help the ones that had fallen. Elka saw graffiti on the sides of buildings and statues. It looked like a war zone. She supposed it was. 

Markus had amassed an army, she came to realize. He already had thousands of androids at his side, thousands more standing behind Connor and Elka. She glanced back at them, the movement drawing Connor's attention. He stared inquisitively until she met his gaze. 

"It's nothing."

He knew otherwise but kept his thoughts to himself. He wasn't supposed to have them in the first place, what good would they do now?

"Let's go, Markus will be waiting."

The name twinged something in her, almost a warning. Should she deliver the androids to him? Have them fight in a war they didn't ask for? And after all the destruction he had caused...

Was it really her choice to make?

-

Finally, they reached the conflict and what they saw devastated Elka further. The androids dispersed and the human soldiers each recoiled as they realised what they were up against. The androids had no weapons, despite their numbers. They looked at each other, most holding their fire against the crowd of sentient machines. 

Yet under Markus and North's orders, they continued to kill. Elka couldn't even raise a fist as a human soldier came into view, she stopped breathing. Almost as if it could make her invisible. 

He raised his gun and aimed for Elka's head. The barrel shook in the man's unsteady hands as she stared down it. "I'm sorry." She murmured.

His finger tightened on the trigger, she heard a faint creak as it shifted a mere inch.

The man let out a breath. It seemed Elka hadn't been the only one holding it. He lowered his gun, nodding slightly. His eyes were wide as if he couldn't believe a machine had talked to him.

"Me too."

Elka smiled softly, "If we continue to stand in the crossfire, all of this will be for nothing."

The soldier nodded, holding out his arm stiffly. Elka eyebrows lifted in mild surprise, before grasping his hand firmly. He let the corners of his mouth lift before he turned and walked away. 

She wondered where he could possibly go in the bloodshed of red and blue.

-

Elka continued, gripping the edge of buildings to scamper around the chaos. She imagined she looked quite the fool, but none had the mind to look around. 

Her eyes scoured the androids until they reached a familiar model. Connor didn't seem bothered by the battle, calculating and precise. Elka smiled as she watched him. 

"Connor!" She called. He turned to her, the hint of a smile gracing him. 

He prepared himself to catch her as she began sprinting towards him. He was reminded of the incident where Elka was discovered and had jumped off the roof with only a parachute. Connor's thoughts flicked to how she kissed him. He thought it would be the last time he saw her. 

His thoughts quickly changed as she slowed, stumbling with a look of horror upon her face. She clutched her chest like she was holding herself together. 

It took Connor a moment to realise that she was staring over his shoulder and not at him. "Behind you!" She cried, reaching for the gun that wasn't there. Her expression was desperate at her lack of a firearm. But just in time, Connor dodged out of the way, turning the soldier's weapon against him and firing into his skull. 

Connor tossed the man aside and pulled Elka to her feet, supporting her as she fell against his chest. "Hurry, we should find Markus."

Elka ran only a few metres behind Connor, insisting to run without assistance. She was still getting over the panic of seeing Connor with a gun nearly against his head. 

We're fine. We're fine.

-

"This is tyranny!" Elka cried over the noise. 

Their numbers were dwindling.

"They need freedom."

"You're killing humans! How is that any way to get what you want?"

Markus faltered as North came up to his side. "They deserve everything, they enslaved us." She scowled. "These are the consequences."

Elka growled, "Don't you hear the absolute bullshit coming from your mouth?"

They took cover behind park benches and statues that hadn't been broken. Detroit was barely recognisable and it was all their fault.

"If you don't agree, you're free to leave." North hissed. 

Elka slammed down her stolen rifle, walking out from under cover. Connor leapt to his feet, grasping her arm. 

She didn't respond, eyes wide and seemingly frozen.