RK800

"Morning, Elka."

"Good morning, Captain Fowler." She replied politely.

"Just Jeffrey, if you don't mind."

"Of course Jeffrey," She set the cup of coffee on his desk, to which he raised an eyebrow.

"Cappuccino?"

"One shot of espresso with steamed milk, approximately two centimeters of foam and chocolate shavings on top."

The captain chuckled, taking a long sip. Elka smiled slightly, he liked it.

"Androids making coffee. Who would've guessed." He sighed. "What model are you, Elka?"

"GS200."

She looked away, her LED indicator flashing yellow as he laughed. Movement from her peripheral vision caught her attention. Elka watched the figure from behind the glass. An RK800 model. It was a prototype, an android built to assist in investigations.

"Enjoy your coffee, Jeffrey."

Elka left the office, eyes on the android. It's back was turned as she approached.

"Hello, my name is Elka, can I help you?"

The android turned around, standing taller as it spoke. Elka reminded herself to keep her guard up. There was no telling what this android would do if she didn't.

"I'm Connor, Lieutenant Anderson's new partner. Do you know when he will arrive?"

"Lieutenant Anderson rarely arrives at a regular time, but he should be here soon." She informed it, emotionless. "You can wait at his desk if you wish."

"Which desk would that be?"

Elka smiled, showing it to the workstation that belonged to the Lieutenant. Connor began to examine the desk, while the female android examined it. She frowned at his back, a sense or despair that it wasn't like her.

It was given a name just like her, to make humans comfortable with them. Just like the skin that covered them. But they were treated like slaves nonetheless.

"Thank you, Elka."

Her glare disappeared as she came back to reality. She nodded to the android, leaving him be. Walking, a human bumped into her. She exhaled sharply, watching Lieutenant Anderson storm past. He made his dislike of androids obvious. She almost pitied Connor, but couldn't wait to see how their partnership panned out. Elka huffed, discarding her obedient act to hurriedly leave. Her LED indicator was red, a clear sign to anyone who saw that something was wrong.

Elka pushed open the doors to the police station, greeted by a strong gust of wind. She sighed, eyes glossed over with artificial tears. Everywhere she looked there were androids. They were a part of life now, overlooked and underappreciated. She lifted her hand to brush the indicator on her temple. The Android Act declared that all androids must bear it, to distinguish them from humans.

She could rip it out, be done with her life, run away. But being deviant was more dangerous than obeying.