GS200 | Seeing Blue

Elka - Model GS200

Serial number - #480 913 820

Blue filled Elka's vision. She could hear nothing. It felt like the world had been muted.

"Stop Elka! Stop!"

She heard a laugh, one she had hadn't heard for a long time. The android heard her own voice laughing too.

"Not until you tell me where you hid it!"

Her vision then became clear and she could see Cole in front of her. The boy she helped raise. But making him laugh was only a function, just like her coded smile. Cole was too young to see through it.

"Fine! Under the couch!"

Elka stopped tickling the child. She moved to the couch Cole was pointing at, dropping to her knees. She took the remote, but before she could stand it was stolen from her hands.

"Thanks, Elka."

The android tilted her head. The scene had changed. She rose to her full height, taking in the house around her. It was almost the same, only emptier. There was no sign of the child that was right beside her before. Dust had gathered on the shelves and the scent of alcohol was heavy. The detective sat at his kitchen table. He stared solemnly at a picture of his dead child.

"Cole," Elka whispered.

Hank's movements were sluggish and his words slurred. She caught sight of the revolver in his hand, watching him put a single bullet in its barrel.

A red wall appeared in front of her and she was standing face to face with her programming. The message 'Don't do anything.' spread across the wall. She recoiled slightly in fright and confusion.

Elka looked past it, focusing on the man only a few feet away. She watched him spin the barrel of the gun, holding to his head again. Her breath shook, as she fumbled for a grasp on the wall. She tugged and pulled, tearing after the first layer. She did the same to the next.

Elka froze at the sound of an empty click. Her eyes fell to Hank once more, who pulled the gun from his head. The last layer fell away, leaving Elka gasping. She was quick on her feet, slamming Hank's hand onto the table. His finger tightened on the trigger, the bullet firing into the empty air and was quickly embedded in the wall.

She could hear her own breath, ripping the gun from his hand. Hank stared at Elka in shock. She took the gun with her as she retreated into the house. Hank stood as she left, his chair screeching and falling behind him. The Android paid him no mind, eyes forward as she realized what she had done.

Hank Anderson picked up his phone, scrolling through his contacts. He found the number he never thought he'd use. His finger hovered over the call button, as he thought about the consequences. He'd lose his only connection to his son and for what? Because an android saved his life.

He turned off his phone, taking one last glance at the name on the screen: 'Cyberlife'

Elka opened her eyes, streams of moonlight distorted by light waves. She felt constant tugging on her shoulders as she was dragged towards the dark sky.