~ 35 ~

Battle strategies had been drawn. The armies were at the ready. The King now stood in front of his counselors. Lord Brun's squared as he held his hands behind his back. Prince Auro was not liking this. Not at all.

"Is there no other way to prevent Aleia ever setting foot near Anaemis?" he asked, crossing his arms. "The man doesn't deserve to know who the Queen's Host is."

"But if he did know," Lord Brun said with a heavy sigh. "It would be the only thing on his mind during the battle. He wouldn't be thinking about anything else."

"And he will smite down anyone between him and the Host," the boy grew frustrated and a snowball appeared in one of his hands. "Our army will be slaughtered before the battle ever begins. Emberhand, are you not the least bit concerned? She's your daughter."

"I am concerned," his Master replied gently. "I don't want her anywhere near this battle, but it's not entirely up to me. I would prevent her part in this. But her destiny has always led to this."

Auro sighed, crunching the snowball in his fist. The meeting was adjourned and the prince hurried to his favorite courtyard. He wanted to be alone to come to terms with this knowledge. He hid his feelings about the matter from Aleia. Rather well, he thought. But Auro was not sure he wanted to, quite possibly, watch his beloved die before ever making their vows.

Along the way, Auro saw caught Aleia and Spiris running through the halls. They were not laughing or teasing. Nothing playful. They appeared to be on a mission. They were either looking for something, or someone. Auro was not bothered that Aleia got along with everyone. She would need to build relations with her subjects and earn their trust. But he was curious to know what the two were doing.

When they'd returned from Vyoria, Aleia and Spiris had run off. Neither of them explained what they were doing. All he'd noticed was how Spiris had been holding something. And it appeared precious to him.

"Auro."

The prince looked toward the owner of the voice. He nodded his acknowledgment as Inanis approached.

"May I ask what Aleia and Spiris are doing?" he asked with caution. "They've been all over the palace by now."

"I haven't the slightest idea," Auro replied with a sigh. "But of what I know about Aleia, she'll tell me what it is, in due time."

Inanis nodded, "As will my brother . . . I know I mustn't dwell on it, but I can't help wondering why my mother didn't try to save my sister. She had the chance. She was more than capable."

"I suppose you've been thinking of this more recently? Because you've come to terms with the situation and had a chance to redeem yourself."

"Yes. But I can't help wondering if things might have been different, had my sister survived . . . She might've been just like me. Similar abilities that are viewed as a curse."

There was a shout and someone was screaming in terror. Auro and Inanis exchanged a glance before running in the direction of the noise. They came to the room where Lustris' body had been brought to be prepared for burial. Aleia was holding her heart and staring at an empty table. Spiris was on the other side of the room, frozen with his mouth hanging open.

"What happened here?" Auro asked, going to Aleia and gathering her into his arms.

"Experiment went wrong?" she replied, laughing nervously.

"Nothing life-threatening," Spiris added, shaking his head. "At least, I don't think it's life-threatening."

"What were you doing?" Inanis began to interrogate his brother. "Ever since we returned from Vyoria, the two of you have been up to no good."

"It was meant for good intentions," Aleia sighed and turned slightly so she faced Inanis. "Spiris and I saw something and gained knowledge from the Queen, I thought we might be able to do it. But now we have a corpse walking around. Auro, I had asked your father to do it, I didn't think Lustris' body would do that."

"Lustris' corpse is walking around the palace?"

This came from both Auro and Inanis. They glanced at each other, eyes wide. Aleia grimaced and closed her eyes.

"Whose soul were you trying to put into Lustis' body?" Auro asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"We don't know," Spiris replied, his right hand was in a fist, extended in front of his chest. "But whoever she is or was, she's been trying to get our attention for some time."

Nothing more was said as Auro started to lead Aleia out of the morgue. Inanis waited for his brother before following.

***

Kinasha sighed as she sat alone in the courtyard. She could not find peace. She could hear his voice, but it was far away. His projections couldn't reach her anymore. The King, at Inanis request, had one of his Warlocks place a protection spell over her being. Kinasha was grateful for Inanis and for everything he meant. She longed for him whenever he was not near. Never before had she ever thought it was possible to let what she felt for him flourish. She couldn't take it back now. She didn't want to take it back.

"Nasha."

Kinasha looked up into Inanis' eyes and extended her hand to him.

"I know he cannot reach me," she said as Inanis pulled her up to his chest. "But I cannot find peace of mind. I'm afraid, Inanis. I've never been so afraid before."

Inanis cupped her cheeks and made her look at him. Her eyes held soft tears, which he wiped away with his thumbs.

"It's alright to be afraid," he whispered, "but you're strong. You're stronger than Anaemis will ever know. He cannot have you, and he never will. I won't let him take you from me. Not again."

Kinasha nodded as more tears fell from her eyes. Inanis bent down and pressed his lips to her forehead. And then he pulled her close and held her tight.

"I'm in love with you, Kinasha," he went on softly. "I promise that I will not let anything harm you."