~ 32 ~

Inanis watched Lustris as the guards led him into the jail cell. Her head was hung low. Her black hair a mess of tangles from not having washed it in days. Her wrists bruised from the shackles.

"They gave you what you wanted," she said, not looking at him. "You tried taking my life once already."

"I'm not so certain you understand what my abilities are," he replied, clearing his throat as he sat across the room. "They are a curse to me. I am the only one to Manifest with such powers. And I hate it. I've only just come to terms with my fate. Only just forgiven myself for my sister's death."

Lustris looked up at him. She nodded.

"Might as well get it over with," Lustris sighed, sitting straighter and setting her feet on the floor. "I suppose this is the only way to prove you're on this side."

"I don't have to prove anything," Inanis stood, fixing her with a glassy gaze. "And I honestly wish it weren't me."

"So you do have a heart."

"I've always had a heart. It's just been broken too many times."

Inanis closed his eyes. In his mind, he felt the strings that held Lustris' soul to her body. Having mastered his ability, he knew how to make it as painless as possible. Lustris wouldn't feel a thing. And it would be as if she had died in her sleep.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Inanis said, opening his eyes as he felt Lustris' soul slipping away from her. "Had this been required before now, perhaps. But not anymore."

A final breath escaped Lustris as her eyes glazed over and rolled into the back of her head. Inanis sighed and lured the soul to his palm. It glowed like a lightning bug. Blinking in a gentle rhythm.

"Open the door."

Inanis looked at the King as he entered, and held up the girl's soul.

"Unless necessary," he said, unwilling to let the chance pass him by. "I do not want to be the one you call to complete a death sentence. Just because I have the ability doesn't mean I enjoy using it. Not anymore."

The king held up a silver sphere, and Inanis sent Lustris' soul into it. Sealing it from escaping.

"I shall respect your request," the king replied, nodding. "But such a gift-"

"Curse," Inanis interrupted him. "My abilities, they are a curse. If they were a gift, my sister would still be alive. But she isn't. Do not make me regret my choice to stand by your son and Aleia. They are the only reason I am here. They trust me. That is more than I can ever ask for from anyone."

Saying this, Inanis left the cell. He walked with square shoulders and head held high. He had a purpose. Aleia and Auro were his reason to continue. They gave him friendship. In return, he gave them his. Nothing would cause him to turn back to Anaemis. Never again.

***

Aleia held her hand extended to the red blaze. Her eyes were closed as she tried to feel the flames. Her soul yearned for the flames to bind with her. She felt it.

Aleia.

"Who's there?" she asked, jumping to her feet.

Steady, my child. It is I, Alessa.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Majesty, it has been a while. I thought you had stopped speaking to me."

I have not left you. There are times when I might fall silent. But I am always with you. Time is of the essence, my child. A battle at hand.

"What must I do, my Queen?" Aleia's breathing quickened.

Auro entered his favorite courtyard and found Aleia with a blank stare. He waved his hand in front of her, but she did not acknowledge his presence.

"Aleia," he said, lowering to his knees in front of her. "What's wrong, love?"

"Eyes," she replied but still stared at nothing. "Such powerful eyes . . . They lie in wait. They wait for me."

"Do they wait with evil?" Auro asked, reaching for her hand.

"No . . ." Aleia blinked as if coming out of a dream. And she smiled at Auro when she saw him. "Auro, my Familiar is calling to me. I must go find him. His presence is needed for the coming battle."

"Your Familiar is a he?" Auro chuckled, "How can you tell from only seeing a pair of eyes?"

"Because I heard his voice," she replied, jumping to her feet. "C'mon; I need you to lead me to Vyoria."

Auro stood, but he appeared deep in thought.

"What's the matter?"

"You've been to Vyoria," he explained, reaching for Aleia's hands. "You said you went with Inanis to visit his sister's grave? The graveyard is called Vyoria."

"Huh . . . Then why didn't my Familiar appear to me then?"

The Prince shrugged and gathered the girl into his arms.

"Perhaps it was not time."

***

Spiris rubbed his eyes and stared at the words on the paper. This was all a dream. It had to be. A terrible dream. A nightmare.

"What's that?" Inanis asked as he approached his brother.

"Word of our parents," Spiris replied, thrusting the message at him. "Read it."

Inanis took the paper with hesitance. He was uncertain of whether he wanted to read it or not. But curiosity got the better of him, and he read the letter.

For the Sons of the Family Bortaelus,

It is a reverence that I should have the chance to express and share such grave news. Your parents, of whom long assumed they had no sons, took ill. They had hoped to return to their home and live out their final days there. However, their souls have been passed on. As a loyal servant, it is my duty to foresee that they have a proper burial and are laid to rest in Vyoria. I hope this message finds you in good health.

Please consider attending the memorial. Though your parents severed their ties with you, I do believe they would rest easy knowing their only remaining children wanted peace. The procession is to take place this afternoon. If you find it in your heart, I encourage you to come.

The letter was not signed. Which caused Inanis to believe it was a trap.

"I do not think anyone would tell us such news," he said, letting the letter fall to the floor. "No signature. Could be a trap."

Spiris picked up the letter and turned it over. He pointed a finger to the name.

"Mother's closest servant," he said, though he could not bring himself to so much as whisper the name. "But you wouldn't remember her. You were gone when she was hired."

"Then what do you propose we do?"

The brothers fell silent. The confusion began to set in their minds. What would they do?