~ 28 ~

Lord Emberhand was speaking with the King when a messenger boy hurried in. The poor thing was out of breath and had a look of fear in his eyes.

"Your majesty," he trembled, holding the scroll to the King. "Important message from the General. Anerathia lays sieged."

"Thank you, my boy," the King replied, accepting the message and patting him on the shoulder. "There is no need for fear. Not just yet. Go to the cooks and tell them I said to give you some sweets."

"Thank you!"

The boy smiled, missing a front tooth, and ran from the study.

"I suppose this answers my question," the King sighed as he hesitantly unrolled the scroll. "Auro has been training Aleia. But I fear she is not ready for battle."

"I cannot disagree," Brun replied with the shake of his head. "And despite being her father, as a Master. I wish she had more time to adapt."

"One can never prepare enough. A lesson we all learned when your wife told you to leave for Earth."

Emberhand nodded and sighed. Because many of the battles they had now all led back to the first one.

***

"Auro!" Aleia squealed as he grabbed her over his shoulder and ran around the sparring arena. Everyone was there, including the Queen. Lorna laughed as she watched her son with Aleia. She had always known he would not marry Lustris. If she was honest with herself, she never truly thought that girl was a match for her child.

"May I continue with the lesson?" the Queen asked when Auro set Aleia on her feet again.

"Carry on," he replied, wrapping his arms around Aleia's waist and pulling her back to his chest.

Aleia blushed and rolled her eyes. This was a new development. Auro, apparently, was an extremely affectionate young man. And now that he was comfortable with Aleia, now that he had confessed his love to her, he was even more open about showing it.

"It can be difficult when faced with the choice to take or spare a life," Lorna explained as she formed a sphere of light in the center of the group. "Rare is the case when the life spared turns against the one who shows mercy. Should that be the case, the life must be taken. Your life is threatened otherwise."

"What if someone has never taken a life before?" Ruperto asked, raising his hand.

"In our world, someone will take many lives in their lifetime. There will come a time when each of you must make a choice. This choice will linger in your mind for the rest of your life. Either in regret or relief."

Ruperto looked at his brother. They shared a look of concern and fear. Across from them, Inanis and Kinasha were hand-in-hand, staring at the sphere. Within the ball of light was a scene of a battle. Chills ran through Inanis arm, raising the hair on his skin. Sensing his discomfort, Kinasha pressed her hand to his chest, over his heart. He glanced at her with a tender smile, placing his hand over hers.

Lumen was not himself. With the events involving his sister, he could not focus. Her execution was imminent. He still held his prince, and best friend, in high regard. But he knew there was nothing he could do to ease the coming heartbreak.

"Take this time of rest to prepare for the coming battle," the Queen said, dissolving the light. "I also advise you to find trust in each other. On the field of battle, you will need to rely on each other. If necessary, yes. You will need to fight on your own. Numbers do not always win a battle, but they help."

Lorna turned, and it was almost as if she floated away from them. As the group also began to leave, Auro sensed his friend needed to talk. He kissed Aleia on the cheek, telling her to go with Ronell and Ruperto. She did not ask where he was going but nodded that she understood.

"There is nothing more you can do," Lumen whispered as he and Auro stood at a window, which overlooked the East part of the kingdom. "She did this to herself."

"She is your sister," Auro said, pressing his clenched fists to the marble surface below the window. "Her punishment affects you too."

"I don't think I can watch."

"You don't have to. If you like, we can spend the day in Mora."

Lumen looked at Auro with a questioning gaze.

"What would we do there?" he asked with a heavy sigh.

"Catch a phoenix?" Auro suggested with a grin.

"You've turned into a reckless daredevil. Aleia's turned you into someone who loves fire."

They chuckled because it was true. Auro was usually more cautious, though he did enjoy some crazy fun now and then.

"She's good for you," Lumen said, sighing as he faced the Anerathian mountainside. "I am happy things are working out for you . . . You know, I would like Aleia to come along. It would help to practice her ability any chance you can give her."

"If you're sure," Auro replied, nodding.

"I am. Aleia is wonderful to have around. She will make an excellent queen."

"I don't know how much she believes that. And she may never get the chance. Not with the battle already at hand."

"Auro, you have many friends and loved ones whom will sacrifice themselves to avoid you or Aleia dying in battle. I, myself, am willing to exchange my life for yours. You will win this battle, and live to tell your children the tale."

Auro gasped softly. He hadn't even thought of what it would be like to have children with Aleia. The thought flickered in his mind. Like a candle being blown gently by a midnight breeze. Children, with Aleia. His heart pounded.

"There are too many 'what if' scenarios," Auro whispered.

"Not if you keep your faith," Lumen replied, sighing heavily. "And Aleia is a strong-willed girl. You might be the one charged with protecting her, but she will protect you as well."

"And she will most certainly die trying."

The two laughed because they were now both well acquainted with Aleia's behaviors. And she was proving to have a rather determined spirit. Even without the Spirit Queen's soul within her, Aleia was stronger than anyone they had ever met before.

"When you marry the girl," Lumen went on, slapping his friend on the shoulder. "I will be at your side. I promise."

"Thank heavens for that!" Auro exclaimed, punching him in the stomach. "If you'd chosen not to, I would have resorted to violence."

"As if you can beat me, your highness."

A gleam came in their eyes, and weapons were conjured. A sparring match underway.