37

7,000 words— all unedited.
missed writing, sorry this is late

"So, Arianna," Dani says through bites of his breakfast. "How have you enjoyed your so far relaxing stay?" Dani asks, smiling at me as I fill my mouth with a small chunk of pineapple.

"The past few days have been quite nice. But I'm ready to see Murph and the others," I chew for a bit, my eyes drifting to the snow filled world outside the window to my right. "Also meet the new recruits."

Dani nods in agreement and looks to see where my gaze has landed. "You receive a mission report tonight. You ready for that?"

"I don't really have much of a choice do I." I laugh lightly, poking another piece of pineapple with my fork. These past few days have been a joy, Dani and I have grown closer as friends, forgetting completely about our first night here. We have gone shopping out in the city and taken a swim in the indoor pool on the bottom floor. But it's finally time to do what I came here for. "Do you know what time the others are getting in?"

"Not sure, I just know there is a big dinner for you all tonight and that's where you are going to get a full report on the first mission," He tells me. "They could be getting here any minute." I nod, finishing my last piece of fruit.

"Where's the dinner at?" I ask.

"Not sure, some tucked back place I'm sure. I won't be attending because I'm not an agent so you'll have to tell me about when you get back." His lips send a smile my way, I politely return it.

"I won't let out any detail." I shake my head and wipe my mouth with my napkin. Dani's back pocket begins to buzz and looks up at me with raised eyebrows.

"Well darling," He looks down at his poor excuse of a phone, that I only knew he had after 2 days with him. "I have just been informed that the others have actually just landed. They will be getting here in around 10 minutes." My eyes widen and my breathing slightly hitches.

"Jesus, I thought I would have time to make myself look decent." I push my hair behind my ear and begin twisting a piece between my fingers.

"Oh please, you look great as is. What were you planning on changing?" Dani chuckles to himself. I laugh with him purse my lips.

"Well, I'll have you know that I planned on staring at myself in the mirror with self doubt for at least half an hour before seeing anyone." I joke, the feeling of laughing at my own words feels strange, but I except it. Dani laughs harder then I do, shaking his head all the while.

"How's, um," He peers down at the watch that hides just beneath the sleeve of his white dress top. "8 minutes sound instead." I smile at him and bump his leg with my foot.

I run my fingers through my hair and take a deep breath. "Who am I kidding? I've never cared much about my appearance and I'm not about to start caring now. As long as I fit the occasion who cares? Right?" I shrug, Dani and I both nodding jokingly.

"You know, by the time I'm done with the check and we make our way up to the lobby to meet them, they will most likely already be here." Dani informs me.

"Then let's pay and get up there shall we?" A small smile forms on my lips. Dani politely asks for the check and pays, leaving a small tip as well. He stands and offers his arm to me.

"My lady." He smiles. I roll my eyes and stand only to pat his arm and walk side by side with him. "Ouch." He laughs.

We walk slowly to the lobby and stand by the doors, anxiety builds in my chest as I realize that the moment I've been waiting for is actually happening. I stare out the glass doors at the front, waiting for a line of black cars to pull up.