28

We wake an hour before sunset to the alarm in Grayson's phone. He reaches to turn it off, but my arm has wrapped itself around his torso, my head on his chest. I yawn and stretch over onto my side.

The noise stops and Grayson throws his arm over me. "I'm too tired for this shit," He groans into my hair.

"Me too," I struggle to keep my eyes open, but the diminishing sun light means it's time to get ready and do what we were sent here to do.

"You should get breakfast before we head out so your stomach will keep quiet," Grayson teases, his laughing breath hitting the back of my neck.

My chest shakes with a laugh I finally drag myself up. Dressing is quick, but it throws me off when the curtains are dark as I'm getting ready. Grayson tosses me my sweats to cover up before we head down to the lobby for breakfast, well dinner really. We meet up with Lila and Murph, who had already started with coffee.

We didn't have much to talk about, so we finished quick. The drivers were waiting when we got outside.

When we finally go to the house my nerves had been worked out and I was ready to finish what we started. Grayson and I were armed with several mics. Lila and Murph had the cameras.

We had come to the conclusion that the side window was the best place of entry. It was opened a few inches for a draft and had no screen. So Grayson led the way and pushed it open slowly, to keep quiet.

The old building was a minefield for unwanted squeaking, so we watched our steps and followed one another on the best paths. We started in the foyer, a large and empty room. It's age was truly shown in the flooring.

Modern buildings in Venice had marble flooring because marble is not permeable to water. If this house did have a marble foundation at one point, most was lost now. The idea made me nervous, but as pushed it from my mind.

I crept my way to each vent in the room and shoved the tiny microphone through the cracks. The rest of the team spread out across the room, bugging their own nooks and crannies.

I round the corner of the first room to find the shaft of an old elevator, the kind that had exposing wiring that looked more like a black cage than an elevator. It must have been at the top because I couldn't see the box itself.

Watching my feet, I walk towards it until I can peer down to the bottom. The boards carry the scent of mildew and over the sound of my own heart beat I can hear the gentle lapping of water.

Grayson comes in behind me and looks to me for confirmation. I give him a nod before continuing my work.

The sound of a drop proceeds a small tap on my shoulder. My shoulders jack up at the memory. I take a small step back and hold my hand out, my stomach churning up into my throat. When the drop lands my eyes widen to get a better look, but the clearness of the liquid dissolves my worries.

I wipe my hand against my leg and look to Lila. She has her hand on the rail leading to the upper floor. I know that is a place we must venture, but knowing that the top floor popped hot with people puts a rut in our carefree mission.

I take a step to follow her, but Grayson beats me to it. He puts on hand on the rail and the other on her shoulder, letting her know that he is close behind. A jealous flash takes over my face, but I take a deep breath and go to Murph, working with him to put both mics and cameras in the same spots.