15

When living in a world that seems in constant chaos, it can be frightening to see it all slow, even more so when it stands still. When finally your wish is granted, time stands still for you, but what if it's not the moment you wish to save.

At first the world is peaceful, silent. I wish to search for a place to rest, but I am not in control. My feet don't touch the ground, yet I still move, fast.

Quickly, I am taken into a room, it's dark and endless, I see no corners. The perfect silence is broken by a scream, short but desperate. "Help me! Help me please!" The voice shouts.

My eyes widen, but I see nothing through the darkness. Suddenly my chest is heaving and my heart is pounding out of my chest. I feel a sheen of sweat form on my face. "Please! Somebody help me!" The voice sobs, their cries deafening.

The voice is quiet for a moment, but my heart doesn't stop racing. A speck forms in the distance, and as it grows I try to escape it, but I am locked in an unbreakable hold. The speck grows into a large rectangle, and hurdles towards me.

My eyes squeeze shut, but there is no collision. Fluttering, my eyes open to a large mirror. Shocked, I stare at myself in disbelief. My reflection stares back at me, but her brows begin to furrow. Next, her jaw drops and from her throat comes a blood curdling shriek, unlike anything I've ever experienced.

"Help me please!" She shouts, but I do not contort my face as it does in the mirror. My reflection stares deeply into my eyes and shakes her head. "No!" She gasps. Behind my reflection I see Grayson, he is also crying, face red and mouth pulled into a deep frown. He holds up a gun and now my reflection and I shriek together.

My fear wakes me, my eyes tear open and I gasp in a breath like it's my first. I sit up straight in bed, looking around the room for a sense of familiarity. The curtains sway in a gentle breeze coming in through the window, time has continued.

I take a deep breath and try to calm myself. "Hey," The sound of another voice makes me jump in fear that it will be another scream. Grayson's hand bands around my arm and I feel him shift beside me. "Hey," He repeats. "What happened?" I turn to face him, his eyes are puffy from sleep, but he wakes fully when he sees my face.

"I'm sorry," I put a hand over his, but he shakes his head and moves closer to me.

"No need to apologize, are you okay?" His hands cups my cheek, his thumb drags across my cheek. I feel my tears smear and become flustered, trying to wipe away the tears I didn't know were there.

"It was just a bad dream," I tell him, taking another deep breath.

"Well, do you want to talk about it?" He asks, his brows furrowed as he looks over my face. I take his hand from my face and hold it in my lap.

"No," I shake my head and look back to the window, as my heart beat settles I hear the crickets become louder.

"Do you need me to get you something? Water? A snack?" I look back to him and shake my head. "What about a hug?" He presses his lips together, a sympathetic smile forming on his face.

I smile at him and nod. His arms open for me immediately, I lean into him, resting my head against his chest. I hear his heartbeat, steady and slow. I also hear his breathing, I close my eyes and try to match mine to his. His hands run up and down my back slowly.