22

A part of me really hoped to see Grayson beside me when I woke up, another part knew that his absence was not a form of negligence.

The sheets are still warm under my fingers as I stretch out in a large X. I take my time becoming alert, the peace of the air is too lovely to rush.

When I make it outside, I see that the four wheeler is still parked by the shed. Under a closer look, I see Grayson sitting on the log by the fire pit, looking out over the view. I slip my shorts up my legs and walk out to him.

Looking over to the house, I see that the stillness of night has yet to pass. The house has yet to come to life with Susan's bustling energy. I stop to  watch for a moment, hoping to see her aproned figure pass by the kitchen window for the curtains to be drawn.

I instead notice how a window on the top floor has been opened to its widest. The curtains tangle in the breeze, spilling out of the sill only to jump back in.

I had never noticed that window being open before, yet again maybe they wanted a breeze to cool down the house. The air blowing up from the trees is the best smell to wake to.

"Is everything okay?" Grayson asks, standing from his spot on the log. He walks towards me, but I keep my eyes on the window. His hand bands around my waist, bringing his head close to mine to see what I'm looking at. "The window?" He mutters, low and quiet.

I nod. "I'm probably just paranoid," I break my stare and look up at him. The creases in his brow make him look harsh. I smooth my palm against his jaw and sigh. "Let's get dressed and head down, just to be sure." He glances to me, giving me a quick smile before heading to the shed. I follow not far behind.

But I see a dark figure move behind the curtains, the light peeks through and catch a cylinder of shining black metal. My breathing hitches and my heart goes into survival mode, pumping blood quickly to all of my tense muscles.

"Grayson, someone is here," I whisper into the wind. Hidden by the shed, his eyes stare into mine, wide and thinking. "They're armed." I say, walking to the shed as quickly as I can without raising suspicion.

"There's guns in the house and in the car," He tells me, I nod to let him know I'm actually listening. "Walking down is too risky. There's not enough cover."

I turn and look over the drop. "We sink below the drop and work out way out of view. We can get to the car that way." I say. His eyes study the steep hill and he nods. I walk to the edge, making sure that I can not be seen. I step down and turn my body so that I am on my stomach.

My heart pushes into my throat when I realize how truly steep the look out is. I anchor my hands at the top of the drop and wait for Grayson. He gets down with me and nods for me to start moving.

I shimmy a foot a time, my arms body becoming raw from the course grass dragging across my skin. Raising my chin, I peek over the hill. Nearly out of view, we continue along the hillside until we can see Grayson's car. When I know no one can see us from the window, I pull myself up onto the peak of the hill and begin jogging down through the trees. I go as fast as I can without making too much noise or tripping.

I can't hear Grayson behind me so I pray that he following. The adrenaline pacing through me keeps my bare feet from aching as I run across the gravel driveway. I crouch at the back seat of the car and open it carefully.