24

Grayson curled him up against a pillow, his back to me as we slept. But before I fell asleep he stuck a hand out for me. I took it and he wrapped it around himself.

Knowing what he needed, I held him and flattened my cheek against the back of his shoulder. He shuddered a bit through the night, crying silently to himself. The more he shivered, the closer I kept him. Trying to comfort him and keep him warm.

The stillness came when he finally fell asleep. I was relieved, not for myself, but that he could finally get some peace, even if short lived.

There was a drop in my stomach a draft blow against my back. Half asleep still, I shifted, looking around the room. But I see a shadow moving, growing as it nears me.

Suddenly awake, my eyes grow wide. I sit up and ready myself. The shadow jumps onto me, straddling my legs. The light from the full moon is my saving grace. I catch their wrists as the light glances off a blade. But they have the upper hand, they lean their chest against their wrists, driving the blade lower.

"Grayson!" I shout, struggling to hold up the full weight of their body. He turns slowly until he realizes what is happening. He clicks on a light and grabs their hands, twisting the blade towards the assailant. I loosen one of my legs a wrap it high around their side.

With a thrust I turn us over so I am on top. I drag the mask off of their head and immediately recognize the face, the boy from Susan's house. He is shaking his head, his face still in that permanent frown.

Grayson gets the knife from his grasp and I pin his hands to the bed. "No!" He shouts, realizing he lost. "You don't understand. They'll kill me!"

"Get Joey," I tell Grayson, he nods and goes to the phone. I look to the boy. "Who? Who are you working for?" I ask, glaring down. His whole body trembles, but like before he doesn't put up a fight.

"I don't know his name," He shakes his head, tears running down to his temple. "He tortured us," He sobs. "We didn't want to do it but he made us." His eyes are squeezed shut.

"Stop crying, I'm not going to kill you. We're taking you down to Joey for questioning," Grayson watches us as he speaks into the phone. He nods and hangs up.

"They have guardsmen coming up to get him. They'll be here any minute," The boy looks to Grayson and shakes his head more.

"They'll find me here and kill me, then," His eyes bug out of his head, he looks deranged. "They'll kill you." He cries more, eyes shut tightly.

The guardsmen come through the door and I get off of him. He doesn't fight as they put him into hand cuffs and push him out into the hallway.

The fear and adrenaline has worn off, but it has been replaced with confusion. Why would I be the only target? Why not Joey? Why not the entirety of the facility?

Grayson walks over to me and wraps his arms around my shoulders. "I think the world needs to slow down for a bit," He says, I hug him back and soak in his scent.

"Yeah that would be nice," He pulls away and gives my forehead a kiss. He slips a shirt on and nods to the door. I follow him out and take his hand as we make our way down to the first floor. We follow the guards through Joey's office to an interrogation room. Grayson and I stand on the outside of the one sided mirror.