~ 19 ~

Ronell sat with Apollo, bored out of his mind. As much as he was starting to like this adventure he was on, there was nothing to do!

"Am I to just sit here and do nothing?" he asked the air; he was still unaware of what his dog actually was. It was this moment Apollo chose to scratch an itch on his rump. However, despite his size as a Great Dane, he could not reach it. He stood up and shook out his body.

"You complain so much!" the canine grumbled, turning his large head towards his Earth-master.

"What? You talked!" Ronell jumped to his feet and stared at the dog.

"I can do so much more than that," Apollo replied with a very dog-like grin. He trotted to the other side of the room and faced Ronell.

"Some things are more than the eye can behold," he went on and crouched.

Ronell could only stare as the dog changed before his eyes. Bones and joints moved to different parts of the canine's body. Fur changed in color and texture. Apollo's size changed. He grew to about half the size of the room. He blocked Ronell's view of the doorway.

"What the hell?" the boy said as he stood and stepped forward in bewilderment.

"Amazing, isn't it?"

Ronell turned and found his stepfather walking around the beast towards him.

"Freaky," he replied, looking back at the animal that he's always known as his dog. "Did Aleia know he could do this?"

"Not until recently," Peter replied, shaking his head. "Auro had to bring her to Anerathia in a hurry, to protect her. But she took everything well, I'm told."

"I feel kinda bad about how I've treated her since you married my mom."

"Don't let that stop you from changing that in the future."

Peter patted Ronell on the shoulders, smiled at the Howler before starting out of the room.

"Aleia has a forgiving heart," Apollo said as he lowered on his paws. "She could never think ill of you, even after all the teasing you've done."

Ronell sighed, "I hope you're right," he said, hesitantly placing a hand on his companion's muzzle. "So . . . You're a talking, transforming beast from another universe. Anything else cool that you can do?"

"I think I should address my name. In this world, I am known as Askan."

Boy and beast went on reacquainting themselves the rest of the afternoon.

***

Lustris sat in her cell. Silent and in waiting. She stared at the cell door at her twin brother. He stared back at her with an unmoving expression. His weapon remained in his hand, prepared to use it should Lustris attempt escape.

"You're nervous, brother," his sister said, speaking for the first time since the encounter with Auro. "Why? Is it because you know you'll have to kill me, despite our kinship?"

"No," he replied calmly. "And I'm not nervous. You've not been my sister for some time. I don't know why Auro continues to show you mercy, but he does."

Lustris shivered and hugged herself. "He said he wouldn't need to kill me because my mind would . . . I don't know what he meant."

"I do," Lumin whispered as he rose to his feet. "You've brought this upon yourself, Lustris. That is a fault you will have to live with, for however long that may be."

"Lumin," his sister whimpered. "Please, it's so cold . . . I'm cold."

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Then it is beginning. I can do nothing," he said, and walked away. Lustris cried as her shivering grew worse. A single tear ran down the girl's cheek. All hope of ever hosting the Spirit Queen fled her mind. She would never rule Anerathia. SHe would never be Queen. Anaemis had lied. He wasn't coming for her. He never would.

***

"Can you please tell us which path will lead to Goowrark?" Aleia kept asking this question to each person she passed. Of which were very few. Having been walking through the town of Emessa, Auro and Aleia found no one willing to speak with them. Whenever the Spirit Queen's sanctuary was brought up, they excused themselves and fled as if they'd been burned.

Not all tasks come easy, my child; the Spirit Queen had told Aleia.

"I don't know what else to do," she mumbled as she and Auro went to sit beneath a plum tree. "There's supposed to be a pathway to Goowrark from this town. But we can't get anyone to tell us how to find it."

"Don't lose hope," Auro replied, rubbing her shoulders. "We'll find it."

She sighed; he was right. Aleia was so grateful she wasn't alone. If only there were someone willing to help. Or even a clue of where to look.

"Begging your pardon."

Aleia and Auro looked up to see a young woman approaching them. Her stature was small, but her hunchback made her appear shorter. Her grey hair blew with the gentle breeze, and her tan cloak trailed behind her.

"I hear you seek the pathway to Goowrark," she said, glancing around to see if anyone was watching them.

"Yes," Aleia jumped to her feet and stood before the woman. "Can you show us?"

"The pathway is not easily found, my dear. But I have reason to believe you are meant to find it. Come with me."

Auro was at Aleia's side instantly, and the pair followed the woman to the back end of town.

"Follow this way until you reach the split roads," she explained, pointing to the road, which led away from the town. "You will meet an odd little fellow, who sits at these roads. Answer his question correctly, and the doorway will be known to you."

"Thank you," Auro replied as he memorized her directions. "How can we repay you?"

"No payment," the woman shook her head. "But that of a promise you will return this great country to her former glory. That is why you seek the pathway, is it not?"

"It is," Aleia said, squeezing the woman's withering hands. "We will not forget you for helping us."

"The people are scared, child. They fear the outcome of the Prophecy. . . Whether it be wonderful or terrible, they fear what change it will bring."

Aleia glanced at Auro, who was watching the woman. The woman turned her grave expression to the Prince and gasped.

"Forgive my disrespect," she said, making an attempt to lower her body into a bow.

"Please," he replied, offering her his hand. "I am not the prince out here. I'm just a traveler."

"But none of the Royal bloodline has ever visited our town . . . not for many years. Not sinc-"

"Agathe!"

"Go," the woman urged as she backed quickly. "Before he sees you."

Auro didn't need to be told twice. He grabbed Aleia's hand, pulling her towards the path. There was yelling and someone screaming. But the two did not look back. Whatever had caught the woman was not an ally.