I MISS US.

I was resting in my bed thinking about chicken wings when my phone rang. It was a call from Chike, I answered and waited for him to speak.

"I'm outside your house, my baby needs me," he said.

I rolled my eyes and padded bare feet to the door. Chike tried to kiss me when I opened the door but I moved my face away from his lips.

"You could've called before coming," I said, standing at the door with him still outside.

"Is your boyfriend inside?" Chike asked.

I could see his jaw throbbing and I opened the door wider to let him in. I noticed he was holding two bags as he walked to the sofa. I locked the door and joined him in the living room.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious? I came to feel my baby, I can tell she needs my presence."

"How do you know that? I could have joined you in a park or somewhere else if you really wanted to talk to her."

"I wanted to talk to her in her natural habitat. Why is that a problem?"

"It's not a problem. I wasn't expecting you, that's all." I touched my forehead and dropped my hand on my thigh.

"I get it. I'll call ahead next time. I got you two some food, burger and chips."

"Thank you."

"Can I talk to her?"

My fist tightened around the skimpy, black, silk robe my friends gave me. I wasn't wearing anything underneath so I shook my head.

"I need to go change," I said and stood.

"You don't have to do that. I won't touch you if you don't want me to."

"Okay." I sat back and his face came close to my belly.

"How's my little Princess doing in there? Have you been good to mommy?" he asked.

"She's been good," I replied and smiled at Chike. "You can touch her."

"Thanks." His hands cradled my belly and he smiled. "You're growing honey bunch, I'm so happy. Daddy misses you every day." He dropped a kiss on my belly and straightened.

"How are you?" I asked when the room became silent.

"I'm not good, it's hard not being with my baby. You didn't tell me she has grown, it's a significant achievement and I need to know about it."

"The most important thing is that we're both doing well, and of course she'll grow, I didn't know you'd care about that."

Our telephone calls were so awkward. He would ask about the baby and I'd tell him everything was fine then we'd end the call. We did that routine almost every day.

"We talk almost every day, you could have said something," Chike said and folded his arms.

"I'm sorry about that."

"Can you document any changes. I want to know when my baby is growing."

"Our baby," I corrected him.

"Yes, our baby. How are you doing with her in there?"

"Fine, she's no problem."

"Have I apologized for the inconveniences? It's my fault that you got pregnant."

"It's not. We were both irresponsible, but that's in the past."

"If you need help with anything you can count on me at any time of the day, I'd be here in few seconds."