YOU'RE SO CUTE.

When I got a text from Chike asking if I'd like to attend a concert he'd be singing in, I didn't think for too long before agreeing. Moreover, it was the weekend and I had nothing planned yet. Deciding not to wear any makeup as I got ready, I left my face bare and drove out. On getting to the address Chike provided, there wasn't any activity going on that indicated a concert was in progress and I called him in irritation. I was on the side of town I'd normally never be at and I held my purse tightly when I saw people stop to stare at me. 

Chike picked on the second ring. "I'm there, where are you?" I snapped.

"I'll be with you in few seconds. Wait in your car, Jade."

I didn't have to be told twice so I tapped on the steering wheel as I waited for Chike. I had several pet peeves and being kept waiting was unfortunately one, I simmered in anger as minutes trickled by. Not wanting to ruin Chike's night with my temper, I thought about clothes and how badly I'd like to give him a free makeover. I smiled in satisfaction as I pictured him in styles that'd suit his personality and career path.

I heard a tap on the window and peered closely to see Chike standing by with a smile. I gestured for him to come in through the passenger side and when he got in, he sighed before placing his hand behind my head to drag me in for a kiss. I melted against him and gave into the kiss, his hand was roaming over my body when his phone pinged and I used that moment to adjust my clothing.

"Whew, they're about to start," he said after reading his message. "You look so cute and I'm thinking of skipping this whole thing."

I didn't know how he always knew exactly what to say to get me flushed and blushing. I accepted the compliment by shoving at him playfully.

"We should go before they send a search party for me."

"Will my car be safe here?" I asked when he directed me to a public parking lot.

"They wouldn't want to mess with me."

I parked and watched as Chike spoke to a guy who he said was in charge.

"It's a guarantee," he reassured me when he returned.

We held hands as we walked into a street with waterfalls and a large statue in the middle. To my absolute horror, I saw some guys wearing black shirts arranging musical instruments near the waterfall.

"This isn't the concert, is it?"

"Hell yea, it is!" Chike said with so much excitement.

"Where's the crowd?" I asked the most obvious question.

"They'll come when they hear the music. The street is always busy at night and will be packed before you know it."

I wished I could share in some of his excitement. We got closer to the group near the waterfall and they all laughed when they saw Chike.

"Hey bro," Chike called in greeting to the guy wearing earphones.

They hugged before jumping up together while fist bumping. They were laughing again and Chike went around and greeted the rest of the group in similar fashion. They laughter was nonstop, I'd never been around people that laughed this much. I was noticed right after and Chike introduced me as a good friend. They were so open and warm that I mirrored their energy, I was laughing at their jokes soon after as they teased each other.

When the excitement finally dwindled, someone strum a chord on their guitar and it began. I would be the first to admit that I didn't know much about music, I didn't like songs like everyone else did and it had been that way before my ex-husband became famous then I hated it more after he jilted me. I didn't love the music Chike and his friends were making but I didn't hate it either and that was something. They sounded good to my amateur ears and within minutes people stopped to listen to them. It got crowded earlier than I expected and I started sweating as bodies brushed against me. The crowd applauded as they changed from one tune to another and I smiled like a proud mother.