42- The Final Trial

Sunlight was already streaming through the doors when the guards finally entered my room the next morning. I was sitting at the edge of my bed, already dressed in completely black training gear. The material was flexible yet still held tight to my skin. My hair was braided and fell past my shoulder. I didn't offer the guards a single glance as I stood and walked towards the door.

Everyone knew the truth. Today was the final day of the Garner. There was no point in denying the two inevitable fates, one of which I would meet before the sun set again.

    Briar was already in the hallway by the time I stepped out of my room. She was flanked on both sides by guards and wore an identical outfit. I had no doubt that they were delivered to every participant's room in the early hours of the morning.

    Briar stepped as if to move towards me but was immediately intercepted by the arm of one of the stone-faced royal guards. She snarled up at him. "How much damage could I possibly make by walking with her one more time?"

    The stiff guard didn't even bother to look down at her as he answered stoically, "you two are enemies. The kings expected all the participants to realize that but in light of what occurred during the fourth trial, none of you are permitted anywhere near each other before the fifth trial occurs."

    "I'm sure that will be an effective strategy" I commented. "Believe me, if I didn't disown Briar the moment she declared that pancakes were the superior breakfast food to waffles, no amount of forced separation will make me."

    Briar grinned at that. "I really hope you finish today with your head still attached to your body" she replied fondly.

    I smiled back. "I love you too, Pugnas."

    The guard at my side shoved me forward before we could exchange any other words. I wanted to tell her so much more. I wanted her to know that I couldn't have stayed sane in here if it wasn't for her. I wanted to tell her that she was so much more than just another Garner participant. I wanted her to know that, with absolute certainty, I knew that her brother and father would be immensely proud of her.

    But I didn't get to say any of that, and I was somewhat grateful. Having the chance to say those things would feel like admitting there was a chance that the both of us might not survive today. It would be like a last goodbye, and I was pretty shit at those.

    I only realized that the guard gripping my bicep was the same one I had danced with during the fourth trial ball after we climbed the sets of stairs. His curly blond hair partially hid the cold indifference in his brown eyes as he stared straight ahead.

    I couldn't help myself. "What are the odds that I will ever see you again?" I asked curiously.

    He clenched his jaw at that. "Slim to none" he answered, leaving off the my lady that had finished practically every sentence he had ever spoken to me before. He was angry with these circumstances and the fact that he had to see me again. Good.

    I let out a sigh. "In that case, I just wanted you to know that I lied to you that night."

    He looked taken aback by my sudden admittance. "About what?"

    "Practically everything" I admitted with a shrug. "My attraction to you, the laughs I made at your jokes, the smiles I gave you, every willing gesture that made you believe you and I would end the night with-"

    "Why are you telling me this?" he interrupted, jaw clenched as his cheeks flamed in what looked like embarrassment, a feeling I remember all too well from that night.

    "Because I didn't want you to go on believing that I was anything like that girl you danced with at the ball." I explained. "Everything I said to you, every smile, every opening of mine I made you believe was yours for the taking, was all a lie.