Chapter Seven: Under the Streetlamp

Start from the beginning

"Are you heading home now?" she asked, twirling a strand of her hair around her finger.

He gave a brief nod and retrieved his phone from the bedside table. "Yeah, I've got some work to finish up at home."

As he walked towards the door, she called out to him. "Did you have a good time?"

He hesitated for a moment before answering, "It was okay, I guess."

The woman's smile faltered slightly, but she quickly regained her composure. "Well, feel free to come back anytime. I can show you even more exciting things."

He gave a noncommittal nod before opening the door. "Thanks for everything," he said before slipping out and closing the door behind him.

Once he was outside, he took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. He had come to the bar looking for a quick hookup to take his mind off his problems, but now that it was over, he felt even more lost than before. As he made his way back to his car, he wondered if this was really what he wanted for his life.

With that, he walked out of the motel and into his car. When he arrived at his house, he went straight into his room and watched the video of the woman having sex with him. The back of her head was facing the camera as her body rocked back and forth in the video. It looked exactly like Michelle because the wig they had purchased was identical to hers.

You are very lovely, Michelle.

He moaned, shut it, and put his phone on his thumping heart. He pondered what had occurred as he looked at the black hooded jacket hanging on the wall.

In the meanwhile, Michelle heard the doorbell ring in the middle of her and Kevin's small talk. Her brother gave her a questioning look, which made her shrug then walked towards the front door.

When she opened it, she spotted Nathan standing in front of her with his hands behind him.

She placed a strand of her hair behind her ear. "What are you doing here, Nate?"

He grinned and showed her a bouquet, which made her mouth hanging open. She tried to speak up, but she just took it and mouthed a 'thank you'.

"Please, come in," she said then opened the door widely.

When they entered the living room, Kevin stared at them and then eyed the flowers in her hands. "So, are you two..."

She shook her head while sitting on the couch across from him. "Kevin, he's here to help me with a new job." She placed the bouquet on the table beside the couch and turned to her brother. "If you're pointing out that these flowers are a sign of dating, then you're wrong."

Kevin narrowed his eyes. "Really?"

"Oh my God, Kevin! We're just friends! Stop making a big deal!"

He crossed his arms and continued squinting his eyes at her. "But you kept on saying his name while you were asleep. What's that, huh?"

As he said that, Michelle blushed before covering her face with her palms, which made Nathan smile and turn his head back, while Kevin slapped his thigh, stamped his feet on the ground, then clapped his hands while laughing.

Nathan turned his attention to her with a wide grin. "Is that for real? You dreamt about me?"

Hearing those words from him made her melt like she wanted to be eaten by the ground. She removed her hands from her face and threw a pillow at her brother, giving him a frown.

Kevin continued laughing as he caught the cushion. "What? I'm just telling the truth!"

"Shut up, Kevin. Just shut up for a second," she said then emitted a sigh. "First of all, he didn't come here for a night chitchat. He's here to give me a helping hand."

Nathan rubbed her back with a smile on his face. "It's okay, Miche-"

"And you, Nathan, don't easily fall for his lies! He doesn't have any proof!"

Kevin chuckled. "Well, I have. I've recorded it."

She threw a sharp glare at him. "Kevin!"

"Alright, alright, I'm just kidding, Michelle!" He stood up and walked away from them.

She furrowed her brows. "Hey, where are you going?"

Turning to them, he replied, "Upstairs. Wanna join me?"

When she shook her head, Kevin went to his room and locked the door. She let out a frustrated sigh before turning her attention back to Nathan.

"You have to excuse him. He's always like that." She shook her head while laughing.

Nathan laughed along with her. "It's fine, Michelle. I've known you both for so long. I'm used to his teasing."

She smiled at him. "Thanks, Nate. Anyway, what do you think of the flowers?"

Nathan looked at the bouquet and smiled. "They're beautiful, just like you."

Michelle blushed at the compliment. "You know how to make a girl feel special, Nathan."

He chuckled. "I do my best."

As Kevin walked to his room, he couldn't shake the feeling of uneasiness. He looked over his shoulder but saw no one. He entered his room and locked the door, trying to push the thought out of his mind.

But as he stared out the window, he noticed a figure standing under the streetlamp outside. The dim light cast an eerie glow over the person's face, making it difficult to discern any features. Kevin's heart started racing as he strained to see who it was, but his vision was blurred without his glasses.

He quickly retrieved his glasses from the side table and put them on, hoping for a clearer view. As he looked back out the window, the figure had disappeared. His skin prickled with goosebumps and he felt a chill run down his spine.

"Who was that?" he muttered to himself, his mind racing with thoughts of intruders and ghosts.

He closed and locked the window, trying to calm himself down. But as he lay down on his bed, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.

🥀