Important

Y/n sat quietly in her normal spot at her parent's dining room table as she listened to her mother and older sister go on and on about something new going on in her sister's life. She sloshed her wine around in her glass a few times before taking another large gulp.

"What do you think about silk drapes for the windows in the living room?" She heard her mother ask her sister, not bothering to acknowledge her presence. "We've had those curtains for so long, it's definitely time for a change."

Her sister excitedly agreed and the two began talking in their own little world once again.

This was nothing she wasn't used to at this point. It wasn't often she found herself included in the conversations her family had, and when she was it was most likely to insult or criticize her.

Y/n looked between her mother and sister conversing and her father and boyfriend deep in conversation about the latest hockey game. She didn't quite belong in either conversation so she decided to keep to herself and pour another glass of wine. She was going to need it to get through this long night.

She turned her attention towards her food, picking at the few pieces of meat left in her dish. Her mother made turkey for dinner which she has never really enjoyed but knew she would never hear the end of it if she didn't eat it. So she forced a small piece down and filled herself up with vegetables to keep her mother happy.

"So Y/n," Her father spoke up, gaining her attention. "What have you been doing lately?"

"Um, I just finished school and now I'm working as a therapist. I hope to-"

"Dad, did I ever tell you about when I got to deliver a baby last week at the hospital?" Her sister interrupted, completely disregarding what Y/n was saying.

Her father was quick to turn his interest to his eldest daughter, once again leaving Y/n out of the conversation.

She discreetly rolled her eyes before turning her attention back to her sister and mother, deciding she was going to listen to her sister's stories. She was never close with her sister when they were young, and even more so now that they're adults and have busy lives of their own. Y/n tries her best to keep in touch, but it never really works out.

She could feel her boyfriend's gaze on her, but she chose to ignore it.

Her family was so busy so even though they've been together almost a year now, he has never actually sat down and eaten dinner with her parents. He's been begging Y/n for months to introduce him to her family, and after months of arguing she finally agreed.

She knew it was important to him to have her family's approval of the relationship, but she also knew her parents really did not care who she dated, but she really didn't have the heart to tell him that.

Y/n barely talked about her family life with Shawn, she would much rather focus on the present than the past, so she never really brought them up and avoided talking about them when Shawn asked.

She knew he was going to want to talk about what he witnessed when they got home, but she was not in the mood. This treatment was nothing new to her.

Her parents have asked him questions about himself, but Y/n knows they could care less about the relationship. They haven't asked him anything about her, or even how he feels about her. Shawn was beginning to wonder why they were not grilling him like he assumed they would.

"Shawn, did you know that Elizabeth is going to be a doctor someday?" Her mother asked, completely changing the topic once again.

Shawn nodded as he took a bite of her mother's turkey. Y/n had to restrain herself from giggling as she saw his face turn sour for a split second. Her mother has never been a good cook.