Stutter

Shawn sat alone on his large white couch as he stared at nothing in particular out the window. It's been raining all morning which foiled his original plans for the day.

It's his first week back and he wanted to do something special for his girl and he had planned to take her staking in Nathan Phillips Square and then out for food but unfortunately they woke up to rain and needless to say, they were both disappointed.

Now, he sits alone trying to think of something to salvage this date while she was elsewhere, probably finishing up some school work she had been putting off.

Sighing, he got up from his comfortable spot and retrieved a dusted book from the shelf Y/n had bought from Ikea and put together when he was gone.

She loved to read, it was pretty much her favourite pass time when Shawn was away. There wasn't much else to do, from a young age she hasn't had many friends so when Shawn is gone she resorts to reading and school.

Shawn on the other hand probably hasn't picked up a book since he graduated high school all those years ago. He doesn't care to read, nor does he have the time.

He flipped the book around in his hands a few times before he could practically see the light bulb going off in his head. He's been meaning to read this book for a while now, and what a perfect time to start reading it now while it's raining?

"Babe," He called as he ventured down the halls of the condo, finally finding her sitting cross-legged on the bed, laptop perched on her lap, glasses resting gently on the top of her head.

"H-hey," She smiled once she noticed him standing at the doorway. "W-what's up?"

She patted the spot next to her before pushing her laptop to the side as she made room for him.

"Will you read this to me?" He asked as he handed the hard covered book to her. It was one of his Harry Potter books from the box set he got when he was a teenager.

"Y-you want me to re-read this out loud?" She wondered, looking between the book and her boyfriend several times. "N-no way."

"Please babe," Shawn pleaded, sprawling himself across her outstretched legs. "It's so gloomy, the perfect reading setting as you always say."

She shook her head once again, "S-Shawn you know I ca-can't read out l-loud. I'll stutter."

"Yes, you can." He reassured her, grabbing a hold of her free hand as he adjusted himself so he could look up at her. "You said you wanted help with the stutter, and I know you love to read. Please?"

"N-no." She sighed as she set the book down next to them. "I'll r-ruin it for y-you."

Y/n almost never missed an opportunity to read, but she almost never read out loud. Never. She preferred to read it in her head that way she couldn't mess up all the words. The only time she ever read out loud is when her teachers in high school would pick her and even then, she was mortified.

"You're never going to overcome this if you don't try," Shawn commented, handing her the book once again. "Just one chapter and after that, if you want to stop, we will stop."

She looked at the book, debating whether she wanted to do this or not. She's always been picked on for her stutter, but she knows Shawn would never do that to her.

Sighing, she opened the book to page one and began reading.

She has read this book many, many times, and honestly, she knows every word inside and out, but when it comes down to actually pronouncing them out loud, she was struggling. A lot.

She barely made it two pages before setting the book down in defeat.

"I-I can't d-do it," She huffed. "Y-you had to help m-me so much."

Shawn was quick to grab the book from the bed once again as she looked away from him, embarrassed that she couldn't even get through a few pages of a book she's read millions of times.

It was much easier to read inside her head, the words came out perfectly, it didn't take her a couple tries to get the words right.

"You were doing so good," Shawn tried again, placing the book back into her lap. "Please, don't stop."

"Stop l-lying Shawn." She sniffled, "I want to s-stop."

"You're never going to overcome this if you just give up." Shawn reminded her, knowing how much his girlfriend hated her stutter. "Just try a few more pages."

She playfully rolled her eyes, not wanting to admit that he's right, and reluctantly opened the book to the page where she left off.

After about half an hour she was able to get through a full chapter with some assistance from Shawn here and there. It was hard at first, but as she kept reading she found it was getting easier and easier to pronounce the words.

Sure she still stuttered but she was slowly becoming more comfortable with pronouncing some words.

"Okay," She sighed once she finished the last sentence of the chapter. "Now I-I'm actually done."

She set the book down next to them and focused her gaze on Shawn who had decided to lay his head in her lap while she read, eyes closed, almost ready to fall asleep at the sound of her calming voice.

A smile rested on his face as she began to rake her hands through his curls.

"See?" He spoke, "That wasn't so hard after all."

"No, I g-guess not." She hummed, "Y-you were right."

"That's what I like to hear."