Chapter 7: Research [REVISED]

Magsimula sa umpisa

She didn't answer nor laugh. Lea just remained silent with her head down. All of a sudden, drops of water started falling down. Agad ko siyang hinablot papunta sa eskinitang pinanggalingan ko para sumilong.

"Damn, the news didn't say something about the weather," I complained while looking up the pouring  nighg sky.

"I-it's Lei," whispered the woman behind me.

That's when I embarassed myself in front of her, yet again. Matagal na kaming magkakilala, pero hindi ko pa rin matandaan nang tama ang pangalan niya. In my defense, we barely had a talk even though we've worked before during our escape. She was always been silent around me. In fact, this might actually be our longest conversation. "My bad."

Then I heard her took a deep breath and I felt even more guilty in failing to get her name right. "Ehrr... so uh, are you heading home?  Need some company?" Lei suddenly turned her head towards me with shock written all over her face. "I mean, it looks like the rain isn't going to stop soon so I--"

I was cut off when the rain immediately stopped like the sky didn't weep at all. Chuckling up a bit while looking up, I spoke. "Wow, funny weather tonight, ain't it?"

Nilahad ko ang kamay ko para makasigurong hindi na umuulan saka ako umalis sa sinisilungan namin. "We better go before the rain comes again. Let me walk you home."

"Uhmm..." she muttered with an obvious hesitation in her look.

"Don't make me feel bad even more. Let me make it up to you, come on," I convinced her.

"Ano kasi... uhmm... h-hindi mo naman kailangang--"

"You and Neesha go that way, right?" I interrupted her and pointed on the other side of the alley. She remained looking at me in awe as I nodded as my way to persuade her. My lips smirked when she timidly took a step and stood beside me. Napailing na lang ako. As I've said, she is nowhere like the common soldiers around here.

"So how far away is your home from here?" I asked as we started our stroll.

"S-sa may pangalawang kanto lang," she answered. As usual, she's stuttering again.

"I see." Maikli kong sagot.

"Nasabi ni Neesha sa akin a-ang nangyari kay Renz. How is he?" Lei asked with a worried tone on her voice.

"He's stable according to Neesha. Might take a while before he fully recovers though," I responded.

"Sorry pala kung uhmm... hindi pa ako nakakabalik ulit sa warehouse..." I felt her guilt when she said that.

"Don't mention it. We all know you're situation's complicated," I reassured her while wearing a cheap smile to show her my sincerity. Trying to blend in with the soldiers to act as our spy is no joke. One wrong move from her may cause her her life. It's a great risk she's taking just to help us. "But how's everything so far? Got anything for us?"

She replied my question with a disappointing shake of her head. "Sorry. M-masyadong maingat ang Heneral sa pagbibigay ng impormasyon kahit sa mga tao niya. Piling tao lang ang napapadalhan niya ng mensahe tungkol sa mga marumi niyang gawain." I wasn't even surprised when she said that. That's just how the old f**ker plays. There goes my littlest hope that I'd have anything from the General from her.  "Kahit nga ang tungkol sa cyborg na umatake kina Renz at Hope ay wala rin akong alam. K-kung nalaman ko lang sana..."

"Hey, don't be too hard on yourself. It wasn't your fault." I looked at her and tried comforting her. "At least now we have an idea on how he's trying to play his own game. This is no longer just about us trying to find an evidence to bring his name down anymore, we have to find a way to fight back and defend ourselves."