Memories of a Lifetime Part 2

LIFE

Life stared at Death as he cried, unsure of how to feel about herself. She felt tears of her own running down her face as she sorted through her newly-gained memories. What Karma said was true, she thought to herself as a jolt of pain hit her heart, hoping, somewhere deep inside of her, that maybe they weren't true. When she closed her eyes, all she could see were the people of her kingdom, dead on the ground. The lifelessness of their bodies and the emptiness from their lack of souls felt like a brick slamming into her chest. But, even with all the bad, she also remembered Death - how gentle Death was when he had first kissed her, how he knew how to comfort her on her tough days. She also remembered the last argument they had, how she had stormed away from him, accusing him of lying to her, just like she was now.

When she looked at Death, he avoided her eyes, tears trickling down his face. Pain was etched into his face, and it took all she had to not reach out to him, to comfort him as he had done to her all those years ago.

Karma laughed, "Oh, this is too precious. Two lovebirds who have finally gotten back together after 750 million years, but their reunion isn't what they expected to be." He turned towards Death. "Death, how are you feeling?"

"I did my part, now it's time to do yours," Death said, his voice hoarse but firm.

Karma nodded. "Of course, of course."

The cages slowly began to rise, and as soon as they were high enough off the ground to crouch under, Death's court dashed under the bars. They jumped and danced, and a few seconds passed until they noticed that Death's cage hadn't risen, his head dipped, making his dark hair fall over his brow and over his eyes whilst he knelt on his knees, the picture of a defeated man. All celebration halted, and they stared at Death's cage, waiting for Karma to realize his mistake and set Death free along with them.

Karma tilted his head. "What's going on? You're all free to leave, Life included. My promise has been kept. Go home, rejoice at your freedom, eat some pies and whatnot," he said, and Justice leveled a glare at Karma.

"What is the meaning of this? Death returned Life's memories. Let him go," she demanded, and Karma sighed with a smirk.

"I'm sorry, but due to the disturbance in the balance after Life's mass murder, one of you needs to stay behind. Death seemed like the best choice. He probably won't have it any other way, that big selfless man he is. It's quite honorable. Am I not right, Death?"

"Why, I ought to -" Justice began, but Death interrupted her, mumbling from his knelt state of sadness.

"Fine, Karma, I'll play by your rules. I'll stay, but only if you let everyone go, unharmed," Death said.

Karma smiled and ran a hand through his hair. "How I love it when people cooperate. It's been decided, then - Death stays behind, and everyone else gets to leave unharmed as wished by Death. I'll give you guys five minutes to say your goodbyes, then leave. I have a spa day. There has been a terrible knot in my back that's been killing me! It's driving me crazy!" he exclaimed as he waltzed out of the room.

Now alone, Death's court started speaking all at once, giving Life a headache from all the sound, at all the new information and memories she was still processing. They all gathered around Death's cage, muttering to him, throwing glares at Life every now and then, along with the occasional insult. Life strained to hear what they were saying, but she couldn't hear a word. Suddenly, Mercy, tears in her eyes, looked at Life and said, "Death wants to speak with you."

When Life didn't move, Mercy looked at her pleadingly and said, "I know you don't like him very much, and you don't have to anytime soon, but it's the least you can do. You'll never see him again after this."

At that, Life submitted, and walked over to Death's cage. His court stood a respectful distance away, cries of anguish rising from the group every now and then as they spoke loudly to give the two some privacy. Life refused to look Death in the eye, to which he noticed and sighed. "I'm sorry, Life. I'm sorry for... everything."

Life bristled and looked at Death to make sure he wasn't lying. When she met his eyes, she saw that they were filled with sadness and defeat. Seeing Death so crushed softened Life's heart a little, the ember love she had tried to put out fighting to stay alive, and instead of firing an insult at him, she said, "What you did was wrong and cruel. I had a right to know."

Death sighed again and said, "I know, and nothing I say in my defense will justify my actions. I wish I had acted differently, but I missed having you around so much, Life. I missed seeing your face, hearing your laugh..."

She looked away, uncomfortable from the amount of sadness Death's eyes carried. "Whatever," she said, trying to appear uncaring. "Thanks for giving my memories back, I guess."

"I'd say it was no problem, but it left me really conflicted," Death said, laughing bitterly, trying hard and failing to be humorous in his state.

Karma walked back into the chamber, announcing cheerily, "Time's up!"

Life turned away to walk out, but Death called out, "Wait!"

Part of her told her to keep walking, but Life turned back around anyway. "What is it?" she asked.

Death, looking at the ground, said, "I know you hate me right now, and I don't think there is anything that can change that - I deserve it after what I did - but before you leave, I just want you to know that I've always and will always love you, no matter what happens." Death met her gaze as he said the last part, sincerity written in every curve of his face.

Tears burned at the back of Life's eyes, and she turned away so that Death wouldn't see. "Don't care. Rot in hell," she forced herself to say as she walked away, and she heard Death quietly sob to himself, the sound cracking something inside of her.

"Shoo, shoo, now. It's time for a much needed spa and perhaps a nice cup of tea," Karma said, nearly pushing Death's court out of the chamber. Life silently followed them, refusing to look at Death knelt in the cage behind her.

Once they were out of the chamber, the one Life recognized as Fury glared at her. "This is your fault, you know. You're the reason why he's stuck in there!" Fury said angrily.

Justice placed a hand on his shoulder, but he shook it off. "She's hurt him so many times over the millennia, and it's all because he loves her. I'm tired of seeing terrible people like her taking advantage of Death. No one truly knows how much suffering and pain Death goes through to keep others happy and well cared for. He's the most selfless person I've ever met, and he's the one stuck rotting in a cage, sad and alone, instead of you," Fury sneered.

"Get over it, Fury. Let's just go home," Mercy said, still crying, and when he saw her, he calmed down.

"Fine," he said, shooting one last glare at Life, and he walked over to Mercy.

Truth held Life's hand, and the two teleported to Death's home. Life opened her mouth to protest, but before she could say anything, Truth said, "We thought it be best if you stayed here while you... sorted yourself out. Receiving those memories must have been hard, especially since you've lived without them for so long. Recover for as long as you'd like - your Guardians are looking over your kingdom again while you're here," and left the room.

When Life studied her surroundings, she realized it was the same room she had stayed in when she had last visited, nothing having changed. Suddenly exhausted, Life dragged herself over to the bed, then flung herself on it. I will always love you.

He looked so sincere while saying it, but Life had no idea whether or not she could trust Death anymore - not after she found out that he had taken her memories from her.

He's the most selfless person I've ever met, and he's the one stuck rotting in a cage, sad and alone, instead of you. Fury's words echoed in her head along with Death's declaration.

Scowling, she closed her eyes and fell into a restless sleep.