The Gift of Life Part 2

DEATH

A full, raging inferno was running through Death's veins, knowing that Karma was planning to commit an Unforgivable Act: something on a list of deeds that him and his fellow gods and goddesses swore never to do, and resurrecting the dead was one of them. Knowing Karma, Death was able to surmise that he wished to resurrect Destiny - who else would Karma want to resurrect? Death balled his fists and was about to summon his scythe when he remembered that Karma had neutralized him. Instead of feeling defeat, remembering his predicament only fed to his anger more like gas to an open flame.

Death, still with balled fists, was about to get up and start punching the bars of his cage in anger and frustration, wanting to let off some of the steam boiling up inside him, when he realized that Life was watching him. When he glanced at her, he saw a face pale with fear. Seeing Life so scared calmed him down a little - the last thing he wanted to do was frighten her.

"Karma really needs to spruce things up a bit. Maybe a nice plant here and there. Even a garden with some fruits and vegetables would be nice..." Death said in an ill attempt to lighten the mood.

"Where are you going with this?" Life asked, confused.

"I just think that you'd be a nice vegetable."

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah. A cutecumber." Death said, grinning sheepishly, feeling the tense anger melt away from the room.

"Throwing out those pickup lines, huh? That was absolutely horrible," Life said, a blush creeping up her cheeks. "Stop pretending to be suave." Death noticed that Life's eyes were darting around, looking anywhere but at him. He smirked, not caring that he was flirting in a metal cage.

"Sweetheart, I am the epitome of suave. I just saw you were a bit meloncholy so I wanted to cherry you up. You make my heart beet, Life. I think we make a great pear because I love you berry much," Death purred, cocking an eyebrow.

Life opened her mouth to respond, her face a bright tomato red.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I do something wrong? I'm cornfused..." Death added. When he was about to open his mouth once more, he was interrupted by a loud snort.

"Seriously, Death? The epitome of suave? More like the epitome of awkward. Those were the worst pick-up lines ever," Truth teased. When Death looked at her, his eyes glowing with the word, "seriously?", Truth snickered. "I really hope you two lovebirds haven't forgotten about us over here. You know, listening to your terrible jokes and awkward conversations. It's so funny watching you try to flirt, Death. You really suck at it."

Life tittered next to him, and he silenced her with his 'Death Glare.' "Sorry," she peeped. "Although she is right..." she added, murmuring softly, humor lingering in her expression. Death rolled his eyes and sighed.

"When I get my powers back, all of you will be sorry. My puns are on point," he sulked, humor dancing in his eyes.

Fury scoffed and said, "I doubt you'd be powerful enough to make us sorry."

The court erupted in laughter, and Death found himself laughing alongside them. It had been so long since he laughed wholeheartedly, and the laughter worked magic on him. With every heave of his shoulders, the weight in his chest seemed to get a little bit lighter, less crushing, the pounding in his skull dwindling, and with every inhale, the shadows within were chased away by an incoming brightness. Warmth spread all throughout his body, leaving him feeling like he was back home, in the common room, lounging lazily by the fireplace with his true family.

All of this vanished when Karma stepped into the room once more.

"Why are all of you laughing? I sure hope I didn't miss anything too important," Karma said with mock sincerity.

"What do you want?" Death growled as Life cowered behind him.

Karma laughed maliciously. "I want your woman." He jerked his chin towards Life who's face blanched, the laughter in her eyes slain by Karma's look of sheer possessiveness.

"I will never stand beside you, you filthy rat!" Life spat, standing defiantly.

"Let me rephrase," Karma said calmly, if not a bit condescendingly. "I want your powers. Your magic, your supernatural abilities, the powers of Life, whatever you want to call it." His hands waved in the air as he drawled on and on.

"You think I will cooperate with the likes of you? With a lying thief?!" Life raged, her words pointed and sharp. She stepped out from behind Death. "Never in a million - no, a billion - years!"

Karma chuckled at Life's act of courage. "You may not cooperate with me willingly," Karma drawled, "but you will do it if someone else's life is at stake. Especially if it's someone you love so dearly...."

Life opened her mouth to respond when Death collapsed, crying out in pain. White hot flames were licking his skin, searing though muscle, tearing him apart. Shouts erupted from Death's court as they sprang up from their various positions of resting, helpless behind the metal bars.

"No no no no no... Death?" Life yelped when Death screamed again, ripping itself from his throat.

Karma cackled and said, "Realize that I have Death's powers, Life. His skillset is quite interesting - he has powers I never suspected he had, which was bad on my part. I mean, he does control death. Agree to work with me, and I'll stop, but if you resist... I may accidentally take it too far. And then - well... we'll just start there." He grinned maliciously, and Death growled in response, pulling himself back up.

Death's court, all eye's wide in fear, watched in despair as they could do nothing but watch.

"Kill me with my own powers? That's impo -" Death was cut shot by a wave of pain that rolled over him. His scream rang in his ears as he fell onto the ground again, clutching his stomach and curling into a ball. I'm just like a human - helpless.

"Want to test that theory?" Karma drawled, pushing his glasses up, then dropping his fingers to his chin. "I'm more than happy to oblige."

"I'll pass," Death breathed before screaming again, the rush of pain agonizing and excruciating. Thrusting his pride aside, he curled himself tighter into a pitiful ball, hoping it would ease the pain - it didn't. Instead, Karma decided it would be a good idea to send another wave of pain towards him. A scream tore itself from his throat, his throat raw and sore from his yelling.

"So, Life, what will it be? Will you cooperate with me? Or will we have to continue?" Karma asked smugly.

"I," Life began nervously, turning to face Death. Death, even with the piercing pain inside him, found it within himself to smile reassuringly, to try and make Life feel better. Life half-smiled back sadly, then immediately broke eye contact with Death. He sighed to himself and looked at the ground. Tears burned at the back of his eyes, but he squeezed them shut and forced his emotions into a tiny box, locking them inside and shoving it into a deep, dark pit inside himself as he pushed himself up into a sitting position.

"So? What will it be, Queen of Life, Ruler and Creator of Man?" Karma asked, a steely glint in his eye as he bowed mockingly.

"I- um," Life sputtered as she glanced at Death.

"No," Death breathed. "Don't do it."

"Shut up," Karma spat. A blood-curdling scream erupted from Death's throat as pain rocketed all over his body. His insides were being disintegrated, he was being ripped from the inside out -

His muscles stopped working, and Death found himself on the ground once again. A fire was raging inside him, boiling his blood and eating his organs. His screams were all he heard. Just as he thought it couldn't get any worse, Karma sent a stronger wave of pain over him, and Death's screams began anew.

"Don't do it," Death whispered again after his screaming relented, coughing weakly, blood splattering on the stones. He barely got the last word out before Karma smirked and raised his hand towards Death.

"Stop it, Karma!" was the last thing he heard before he passed out.