Dancing With Death Part 2

LIFE

Tears had begun to flow out of Life's eyes as Death told his story. Did I really do that? was a recurring question. Horror gripped her heart as he recounted the story of their battle and how he got his various cuts. Every sentence that fell from Death's mouth was like a whip, lashing Life over and over again for her sins, at the memory that slowly came back to her. I killed someone. I killed someone, she kept thinking to herself. It soon became a mantra in her head, washing over every other thought that had been in her mind. I killed someone. I killed someone. Death began to explain how he had knocked her out, and how he had brought her to where she is now.

"That is all that happened, you know the rest," Death said after he had finished the story, peering at her, his eyes soft and understanding.

Life could only shake her head in disbelief. She had said such horrid things to Death, things she didn't mean at the time. She was angry, and wanted him gone and -

"Life, don't beat yourself up about it. It's in the past now," Death said, eyes filled with warmth. He stood up from his sitting position on the couch and walked over to where she was standing nearby. With every step, her heart began to beat a little bit faster until he stopped only a few inches away from her. She held her hand back from exploring the curve of his muscular chest, shutting out the memory of what happened in her room a few days before. However, the happy little thought was soon killed by the chant, I killed someone, reality rushing back to her.

"It's all okay now, Life," Death whispered, and she could feel his breath on her cheek. "It doesn't matter what happened before - look for the future, Life, instead of locking yourself in the past."

Death reached up to cup Life's chin. When his fingers brushed her skin, they felt as if they were charged with electricity. I killed someone. Life, still in shock from Death's story, swatted his hand away from her chin and bolted out of the room.

It was as she was turning down seemingly endless hallways that her emotions decided to work again. She had no idea where she was going, paid no attention to the servants and people around her. The stream of tears began anew as she propelled herself as far away from Death as possible. He hates me, she thought, the chant echoing in her mind as she wailed through her tears, drowned in them. Feeling a sudden urge to sit down, she opened the nearest door and flung herself in without caring what kind of room she was in. Throwing herself up against the nearest wall, she slowly sank down to the ground, the tears coming with extra vigor. She could hear footsteps outside the room she was in, but she continued to cry. The door opened, but Life was too engulfed by her emotions to care.

Suddenly, she felt arms encircle her, and heard a familiar voice mutter, "It hurts me to see you so sad, Life," against her ear. She could feel his voice rumble in his chest, so warm, yet so hard and silken at the same time.

Life didn't have to look to see who it was - she already knew it was Death who was hugging her. "Leave me be," she said softly, throat raw from the wailing. She tried to break from Death's hug, but she was too weak and tired to do much.

"Life, look at me," he said as he turned her head towards him with a finger. Life closed her eyes, refusing to see the anger that must be in those beautiful, brown eyes.

"Life, please, look at me," Death begged, to which Life reluctantly opened her eyes - and stared straight into a bouquet of flowers.

"What -" she began, but Death shushed her.

"It's for you," he said, smile blooming on his face. "Flowers to represent your beauty and your strength."

"How would flowers represent strength?" Life asked, looking anywhere but at the flowers.