Between Life and Death (Epilogue)

Six years later...

LIFE

Life pumped her legs as fast as she could, dashing to get to the meeting on time. She finally reached the doors and burst into the room, huffing for air, earning amused glances from the other gods and goddesses sitting around the conference table. A blush developing on her cheeks, Life took her assigned spot next to Death and set a small child in her arms in the chair to her right, a bright light flaring when the child shifted into her normal form, grumbling about the nuisance of shape-shifting.

"So nice of you to join us, Life," Wisdom said stiffly, and a few chuckles rose from around the table.

"Don't give her such a hard time, Wisdom," Love purred. "Besides, she has a child to take care of."

Wisdom completely ignored her and said, "Death, could you tell your wife to come on time? This is our first meeting, and I don't want this laxity and tardiness becoming habitual. And why is she running - can't she just teleport?"

Death shrugged. "She's ten seconds late, Wisdom, so that's not so bad. As for the reason she can't teleport, our daughter gets nauseous from teleportation, and I think you would appreciate it if she didn't throw up on the table or all over your beautiful silks," he responded casually, a grin tugging at his lips.

Wisdom's nostrils flared and he opened his mouth to respond when Luck slapped his arm. "Instead of picking on Life and Death because you're jealous, how about we begin the meeting?" she said with a sly smile.

"Just get on with it," Wisdom grunted through grit teeth.

The meeting was dull. The god and goddesses discussed borders, disputes within their lands, potential disaster zones, and the such. After the meeting, they mingled and socialized, exchanging gossip or chatting about their lives. Life, with her child (who had shifted into a smaller form once again) in her arms, was about to leave with Death when Forge and War approached them.

"Congratulations again on the child," Forge said with a kind smile. "It's not every day another god is created."

Life nodded. "Death and I are very fortunate to have her."

"Oh, she's beautiful!" War exclaimed. "How long ago was she created?" she asked, and Life shrugged.

"I think it's been about six years now," Life said, glancing at Death for confirmation, and he nodded.

"She really takes after you, Death," Forge commented, and Death laughed.

"She may look like me, but when she's home, she's just like her mother - loud and whiny," he jabbed, and Life scoffed and rolled her eyes while Forge snorted.

"Shut up, Death. At least I'm not moody like you. Honestly, I think she looks more like me. She wouldn't have looked this good if she had turned out entirely like you," she countered, and Death cocked an eyebrow, earning a snicker from his wife.

"Well, Life and I better get going, we'll see you next month," Death said.

They had turned to leave when Forge called, "Wait!" as he dug in his pocket for something. "I made this when I had first received news of your child," he said as he handed Life a wooden carving of a night sky. "I usually don't work with wood, so it's not the best," he admitted sheepishly, and Life shook her head.

"No, it's beautiful, thank you," she said, and she turned around with Death. "We'll see you guys next month!"

"All right!" Forge and War responded as Life and Death teleported away.

When they teleported back home, Cycle jumped out of Life's arms and dashed to the nearest bathroom. Life and Death made eye contact, and both of them sighed. Hopefully her nauseousness gets better, Life thought, and when Cycle came back from the bathroom, she glared at Death as she shifted into her normal form from the shrunken form she was in.