Break Down Doors Part 2

LIFE

For the next few days, Life slipped in and out of consciousness, and was under the constant care of Mercy. Truth would occasionally join Mercy, lightening the mood. Death never stopped by. Whether Life was thankful or disappointed, she didn't know.

About a week after the battle with Death, Life had regained most of her strength and could walk around, though still with some pain. She still had no idea where she was, however, and neither Truth nor Mercy would tell her.

A few days later, Truth came bursting into the room, startling Mercy.

"Mercy, it's Death!" she cried. "He's not doing well, and he's in a lot of pain!"

Mercy whipped around to face Truth, her playful and carefree demeanor thrown out the window, suddenly focused with her eyes narrowed, calculating. "I don't have healing powers, but I'll see what I can do. Do you know the source of the pain?" she asked urgently but calmly.

"It's his side," Truth said. "We have to get going! Hurry!"

Truth and Mercy were about to hurry to their friend when Life got out of her bed and said, "I want to go."

Both Truth and Mercy looked at her in disbelief. "You guys may not have healing powers, but I do. I can help Death," Life explained. "Please, take me with you. I want to help him after everything he's done."

Truth said nothing, but Mercy nodded curtly. "Follow us."

The trio walked at a brisk pace, turning down hallways and passing by hurried servants carrying an assortment of foods and cleaning supplies. What worried Life the most were the ones carrying away bloodied rags. They had to get to Death quickly before it was too late.

They finally stopped in front of a door with a beautiful carving etched into the worn wood. Truth opened it to reveal a bed surrounded by four other people Life didn't recognize, and when the door opened, they didn't even turn around. Suddenly, Life heard an earth-shattering scream she assumed belonged to Death, and it was the sound of pain that drove her forward.

"Excuse me!" she called out. "Let me through!"

A man turned around and glared at her. "What business do you have here, Life? You here to cheer over Death's death? At what you've managed to accomplish?"

Life glared back at the man with equal intensity. "No, I'm here to heal him." Ignore him. I won't get anything done if I let guilt cloud my judgement.

The whole room went silent except for Death's moan of pain. Another person turned around and looked at her with curiosity. "I don't think she has ill intent. Let's let her through. It's not like we have many options left."

Everyone quietly shuffled out of the way, their angered faces soon replaced with worried expressions. As she began walking towards him, she heard a man whisper, "Kill him and you'll have the Court of Death wanting your head." Life shivered at the threat, but kept walking.

When she reached Death, he looked up at her with glazed eyes, silver glinting at the corners. "Why are you here?" he croaked, right before he screamed again, clutching his side.

"Shh," Life whispered, "be quiet. I'm here to help you. Now, stay still - it might hurt, but it will be over soon."

"Thank you," Death managed, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Could someone tell me where he is injured?" Life asked the crowd circling around her like seagulls would with a fishing boat.

"It's his side," Mercy responded.