⋈ 0. Prologue ⋈

"

how you have fallen from heaven,
O Morning Star, son of the dawn

"

Earth, 65 million years ago: Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico

The middle brother was the first to open his eyes.

With them he beheld a strange world, foreign but not unfamiliar. Not unlike the many he had seen in his long, long life. In a matter of minutes his mind was already exiting the haze of the impact, racing with thoughts too quickly to count. With the flick of a forked tongue the dragon tasted fire and brimstone in the air. A reptilian smile, cold and calculating, sliced across his visage.

All around him was the remnants of an oasis - trees uprooted from the scorched earth, what was once a lake thriving with life was now barren, the bed of soil cracked and sizzling from the rain of fiery debris. The Golden Demise's work had already begun.

With a shrill cry, he turned to his brothers, nipping at their throats to rouse them from their disorientation. The right brother hissed, nipping back at his superior. The left brother scanned the horizon. He could feel the wave of heat from the destruction warm their scales, a surge of power growing from the tips of their talons to the edge of their wings.

With a roar more akin to a cackle, they outstretched their wings, a curtain of thunderless lightning surrounding them. It was a power the dragon took great pride in, knowing that after all their travels there wasn't a being that could ever hope to rival them.

They were inevitable.

They were the planet eater.

Suddenly, the right brother's head whipped around, lips curling into a snarl. There was a presence approaching far too quickly for it to be any of the stragglers that barely clung to life from their arrival. The middle brother's eyes narrowed, rattling their tails as he strained to look through the thick cloud of smoke that filled the crater. The left brother flared his horned crests as another of his high-pitched trills echoed through the air.

Through the hazy smoke, glowing red from the embers that fluttered around him, a bright blue light shone like a beacon through the darkness.

The middle brother felt the crackle of their lightning burning up in his throat, while the other two were simply too awestruck at the sight of opposition before them. In a matter of minutes a silhouette emerged from the haze, tall and strong and so fiercely determined. Tremors shook the earth beneath them with each step the being took. But the brothers were not so easily impressed.

"Who -

- How -

- What