Chapter 16: Painful Emotions

ANOTHER CHAPTER AT LAST! Yeah, don't pull out the swords and kill me just yet---I haven't forgotten this story (just lost motivation for awhile). I'm sincerely sorry for the long wait, you guys. Oh and please don't be a silent reader---vote and leave a comment (I WILL reply). I honestly love hearing from you guys!

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

"It's hard to love someone. In the moment you realize their life is in danger, you feel a compulsion to defend them with your own. It is a selfish act, almost, yet one of sheer purity."

[Third Person POV]

Aoife stood before the small mirror that was within the bathing quarters, her dull blue eyes gawking at the new symbol adorning her tan jacket. Within her arms, she held her new cloak, the exact symbol embroidered on the back of it in a larger area of the green fabric. She smiled to herself as she caressed the garb with her thumb. "Who would have thought I would get to wear something so proudly," she whispered. "It's official, Granddad . . . I'll get to see the world outside of these walls; aren't you proud of me?"

Folding the garment neatly, she laid it over her forearm and walked out of the room. A young woman, her straight, deep orange-colored hair reaching an inch above her shoulders and large amber eyes, greeted Aoife with a quick smile.

"Another recruit?" she said, her tone delicate and sweet. "It's nice to meet you." Without allowing the auburn-haired girl the opportunity to speak further, the woman rushed into the restroom and shut the door behind herself.

Aoife stared at the door for a moment, her mind slowly comprehending who she'd just met. Petra Ral, she thought, her gaze shifting ahead of herself as she casually rounded the corner of the hall, Gregor Ral's daughter? In the Scouting Regiment? Why had he not mentioned anything to Fath----

"Watch where you're goi---" The person's words were exhausted as soon as their eyes examined who they'd run into. "A-Aoife?"

The auburn-haired girl quickly picked back up her cloak and turned to face the brooding man. Her eyes trailed from his boots, up to the short blond hair slightly spiking up at the top of his head. Her eyes wavered for a moment as they stared into his narrow, golden orbs with bewilderment. "R-Reiner . . ." she muttered, the word coming out in a sort of breath as she examined the shocked expression on his stern-featured face. "You joined the Survey Corps too?"

His eyebrows furrowed and he quickly shoved her into the room next to them, not wasting time, he shut the door behind them.

"H-Hey! What's the big ide--"

Reiner suddenly cupped his hand over her mouth and partially pinned her against the wooden wall. "Aoife," he said, his tone serious. "What are you doing here?!"

She released a few grunts and a furious growl before Reiner realized she couldn't answer if his hand was blocking her mouth. "Sorry," he said, his confused eyes not leaving her flustered blue ones as he released his hand.

"Because I know that being here will let me out of these god-forsaken walls," she replied, her voice frantic. "Why are you so concerned anyways?" she reprimanded, causing the boy's narrowed nostrils to flare out in frustration.

"Because you're just going to put yourself in a worse position by throwing yourself out on the frontlines," he said. "You're at a greater risk of dying outside of these walls, Aoife, and I . . . don't want that."

Aoife furrowed her eyebrows and glared at Reiner for a moment. Scoffing, she attempted to shove him out of her way, but failed miserably because of how firmly he stood blocking her. "Look," she snapped, jabbing a finger into his right breast, "we've had so many comrades die, our very friends even, yet they weren't in the Scouting Regiment---they were only freshly graduated Cadets," pausing, she held her sharp glare and continued, "I've had family die at the hands of those bastards. I know what risks I face with my decision! The question is: why the hell you're standing here lecturing me on what's good for my life and what's not?!"

Reiner's eyes widened for a moment as he released her from his grip and shamefully looked away from her outraged face. "What you've said isn't wrong; we have lost a ton of our comrades, but . . . I just . . . couldn't live with myself if I had to watch you perish as well."

Sighing, Aoife let up her stare and placed her hand on the lad's strong jawline. She easily managed to shift his gaze back over to her. Tilting her head, she shook it. "I get that you don't want anything bad to happen to me . . . but what I choose to do with my life shouldn't put you under so much stress because it isn't yours to decide for. I refuse to sit back and watch another person die. Now that I'm here, I'm finally able to put forth an effort to make a difference for the sake of humanity and my own pride."

Reiner ran his hand through Aoife's auburn tresses before ceasing his hand over her cheek. "Aoife . . . you don't understand," he said, his tone much more softer than previously. "It's selfish to think of your pride when your life is on the line. I want to keep you away from all of this fighting. I just . . . wish you would have chosen the Garrison . . . because now I'm forced to watch your back again."

Slowly removing her hand from his face, she smacked his off of her own. "Am I merely just an obligation to you? I'm quite capable of defending myself and others too, Reine---"

Not letting her finish, he had situated one of his hands under her chin and the other on the side of her face. Leaning down a bit, he pressed his lips against hers. The girl dropped her cloak and closed her eyes. Aoife had been so flustered and shocked by his kiss that, as soon as he let up, she had stared in confusion at him.

"That's why I don't want you to be here, Aoife," he said, to which the girl's eyes grew wide and wavered at him. "Because I . . . love you."

"R-Reiner . . ." she exalted her words and bowed her head, her cheeks blushing a deep pink as the tears brimmed in her eyes. "Things like that only makes me want stay here even more, because . . . I can't bear the thought of . . . losing you either." Releasing a partial sniffle, Aoife quickly maneuvered around him and rushed out of the room, running straight to where her quarters were.

Why do you have to make me feel like this, Reiner? she wondered as she entered her room and closed the door behind her. Leaning against the door, she allowed herself to slide down it and cover her head in embarrassment. "It hurts to . . . love you," she whimpered, clutching her hair as she continued to weep.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

I enjoyed writing this chapter (kinda quickly too), so I hope you all did too! Feel free to vote~

Oh and . . . could you leave a comment telling me what you thought? I'm a firm believer that criticism is needed to improve.