Chapter 5.4: You Lose

"There are times when I feel God takes the ones we love because he feels it'll make us stronger, Aoife."

[Third Person POV]

Aoife fell from her cable nearly three feet from the ground and raced over to the sickly pale and crimson-covered Sera. "Hey!" she exclaimed as she knelt down in front of her. "Pl-Please don't die on me, Sera!" She grabbed ahold of the girl's narrow chin and barely turned her head from left-to-right. Getting no reaction from her attempt, Aoife released Sera's chin and grabbed ahold of her left wrist, feeling of the vein for a pulse.

Come on, beat . . . damn yo--, she paused in her thought and smiled faintly to herself as she felt the pulsating vein . . . but only barely. Aoife gripped the girl's left hand with her right tightly and examined Sera's right side. She furrowed her eyebrows and frowned in discomfort at the bloodied area. From the looks of how clean the cut was, she thought, a Titan didn't b-bite it off.

Releasing a held in breath, she began gently shaking the blonde from her unconscious state. "Sera," she said, feeling uneasy. "Please wake up." She blinked away the tears threatening to blur her vision and clenched Sera's hand in her own. "Sera! Please . . . wake up!" she choked out as a tear escaped the inner corner of her eye, causing the girl to grit her teeth in frustration as it trickled down her cheek.

"A . . . oif . . . e," said Sera, in an almost inaudible tone, causing Aoife to perk up slightly.

The blonde weakly carried her head upward, but it fell back down almost immediately. Aoife placed her hand on Sera's left shoulder and frowned as she noticed that the girl's eyepatch had fallen from her eye. Glancing over to Sera's right side, there it sat in a few droplets of blood. Reaching over, Aoife picked it up and gently wrapped it around Sera's head. Sera slowly carried her droopy left eye's gaze over to her. "Th-Than . . . ks," she whispered, her mouth lifting into a small smile.

"No problem," Aoife said. "Are you okay . . . to tell me what happened?"

Sera subtly nodded and calmly leaned her head backward against the wall, giving Aoife a vivid view of her ghastly face; it was paled from the blood loss, grim, and her visible deep brown eye's pupil dilated almost entirely. "An . . . aberrant h-had came thr-through . . . and caught m-my cable, tw-twisted it ar . . . around my . . . my," she paused as her head fell over to her right side and stared at her decapitated limb sitting nearly twenty feet away from her, still gripping its sword. Sera suddenly released the most ear-splitting scream and used her left hand to yank her eye patch from her eye. "My ar-arm!" she shouted as she plopped herself onto her stomach and tried crawling over to the appendage.

Aoife's eyes widened with fear and shock as her friend continued in a mad cry for her lost arm. "Sera," she said as she watched on, the tears brimming at the edges of her eyes. "Pl-Please . . . stop this . . . you're . . . killing yourself." She stood up and walked over to the screaming girl helplessly crawling toward her arm. "Stop, Sera!" she shouted as she stopped in front of her and knelt down, blocking the girl's view.

Sera blankly carried her gaze from the direction of the limb to Aoife and narrowed her eyes at the auburn-haired girl. "Wh-Who do you . . . think y-you are, Aoi . . . fe?" Bringing her left hand over to her right shoulder, she felt of the tender, warm area and screamed in horror, all sanity in her left eye now gone.

Aoife stepped back from her, walking into the wall of a building behind her. Sliding down the wall, she placed both of her hands over her eyes and began sobbing into them. Her heart couldn't take this pain of listening, nor watching, to her friend's madness. She brought her knees up to her chest, then buried her head into them. "Ple-Please . . . st-stop, Sera!" she shouted. "Plea-Please!"