Chapter 17.3: The Forest of Giant Trees

"You might think you're wise on the ways of the forest, Aoife, but there are always those who have lived within it---only they are the ones who truly understand its secrets and the many creatures it holds."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

Roughly an hour had passed since Aoife had been left alone. Having bore witness to her squad leader's death, the girl had discovered a terrifying reality: there were more shifters, like Eren, whose goals were unknown. Upon encountering the female Titan, Aoife could only make the assumption that the abnormally massive one that had destroyed Shiganshina District's defenses was one as well.

That Titan, she thought as she hunkered over and sped up Ash. I wonder if ... it's the one that damned those on the right flan---.

"Report!"

Aoife glanced over at the oncoming Scout atop their gray mount. Her blue eyes immediately widened as they grew closer in proximity to her. Unwavering from the pace Ash was still going, the soldier rode alongside her.

The woman, her hair a strawberry-blonde and eyes a brilliant amber, stared intently ahead of herself. "The search squad on the right flank has suffered greatly---their ranks have decimated and they have lost their ability to scout the enemy!" Petra explained, her gaze shifting over to Aoife. "I want you to relay this message to those further on the left flank and join up with them once you've done so!" Petra sent a stern, yet worried look at Aoife. "Is that understood?"

The auburn-haired girl subtly nodded. "Understood!"

Petra furrowed her eyebrows for a moment as she glanced around herself. "Where is your squad leader?"

"He ..."

Before the girl could finish, Petra had turned the reins of her horse and ordered it back to the center of the formation. She peered over her shoulder and grimly smiled. "Aoife ... catch up with another squad so you're not left alone out here, okay?!"

Aoife arched her eyebrow inquisitively and watched as the distance between herself and Petra expanded. She ... knew my name? For a moment, she lingered on that thought before jerking at Ash's reins and setting her sights on the upper left column of the formation. "I have to get this message to them!"

Reiner, she thought, her eyes evident with worry. I hope you and the others are safe.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

"Is that what the center relayed to you, rookie?!" demanded the man, his brown hair slicked back and stern gaze focused on the forest swiftly coming into his view.

"Yes, sir." Aoife replied, riding steadily behind he and Sasha.

The concerned girl, her long, red hair tied back into her usual ponytail, looked from Aoife, to her squad leader. Noticing as they grew nearer to the forest that only the center column and the wagons were entering the cobblestone laced path, Sasha frowned. "Um ... squad leader," she said, her hazel eyes lingering on the back of the man's head. "The center ranks appear to be entering the forest pathway."

Aoife glanced over at where she was talking about and narrowed her eyes. What is Commander Erwin thinking? Why hasn't he called for a retreat yet? Is there ... some other underlying plan he's not tellin' us? she wondered, her attention easing back over to Sasha.

"If we keep going, we're going to run into the forest!"

There was a moment's silence before the man finally spoke: "We're going around."

Aoife's eyes widened. Going ... around?! Does this guy even realize how vast this forest is?

"Let's go!" he ordered, heeling his chestnut horse in its side---speeding it up.