Chapter 5.6: Titan-Shifter?

"Are you a man of your word? Do you believe in putting others before yourself? If so, then you might be considered a great man in the eyes of your peers."

[Third Person POV]

Aoife had made her way back to her fellow Cadets. She opted to be by herself to give her more time to reflect about everything that'd occurred that day. She felt guilty for her words toward Sera's grandmother. She didn't understand why she'd acted the way she did. If anything, she'd reacted as a child would if they were angered over their mother not giving them a sweet before supper.

With her hand, she brushed her bangs away from her eyes and sighed as she propped her foot up and back against the grey-bricked wall of a home. Crossing her arms, she bowed her head, closing her eyes in the process. Did she . . . deserve to hear it like that? she wondered, placing her hand against her chin in thought. It was her granddaughter after all . . . and my friend, but . . . had the woman truly deserved my rage?

Aoife slowly opened her eyes and stared at the ground as she listened to Marco console Daz, who was panicking over fighting Titans.

"Hey, Marco . . . I can't do it anymore," Daz said, through a whimpering voice. "I'm done with fighting the Titans!" He clutched the hem of Marco's jacket and stared up at him with pleading, tear-filled eyes.

Aoife shook her head. How disgraceful, she thought, giving up when you're still alive.

"What's the matter?!" asked Marco.

"My buddies got eaten before my very eyes!" exclaimed Daz. "They were eaten alive, but . . . I didn't feel any sadness or hatred! I was just glad . . . that it wasn't me!"

Aoife's eyes widened as she stared at the boy, who'd just admitted his fear, yet relief of his comrade's death and his life. "What are you saying?!" she asked, kicking her foot from the wall. She walked over to him and turned him around on the crate he was sitting on by his shoulder.

He stared at Aoife with petrified eyes as she grabbed his jacket with both of her hands. "You gutless coward!" she shouted. "Stop blabbering! If you're so willing to give into the Titans, then go ahead and throw yourself down one of their throats!" Marco stared at Aoife with his eyebrows furrowed. Sasha, who was nearby, examined the scene with wide hazel eyes. Aoife glared at Daz and tightened her grip on his jacket. "Why do you have to whine about something that you willing signed up for?! You knew the risks of becoming a soldier! You knew that your life would be on the line! Your death is inevitable and something that can't be helpe--!"

Reiner, who'd heard the girl's outburst, reached his arms around Aoife and yanked her away from Daz, then placed her against the wall and stood over her. "Aoife," he said in a stern tone, "you have to calm down. You're judging Daz too harshly and leaving him little time to calm his nerves."

Aoife sighed and felt of her cheeks, which were warm from her blood boiling. "Fine," she whispered, glancing over at Daz with scornful eyes. "I just wish he'd keep his thoughts to himself when it comes to his duty."

Daz turned back around to Marco and placed both of his hands on either side of his head in frustration. "Our job is to fight . . . until we get eaten by the Titans, right?! Well, if I'm going to be eaten alive, I'd rather kill myself right now!" he yelled as he unsheathed his sword.

Aoife scoffed at Daz. Such a coward, she thought.

Marco quickly stretched his arms around the lad. "Stop it! Pull yourself together! You're not the only one! We're all battling our fears!" He turned his head to his side, toward Sasha. "Just look at Sasha! Despite all she's been through, she's still a proud soldier!"