Chapter 5.5: Finding Liam

"Lies come in many forms, whether they be in the form of a story or in a light sentence---they're still considered lies."

[Third Person POV]

Nearly an hour had passed and most of the Cadets had arrived over the Wall. Aoife, having a one-track-mind, had opted for finding her father before deciding to return to the remaining Cadets. She'd been curious, too curious, about whether or not her father and the rest of the citizens had made it through the inner gate, unscathed. She wanted to make sure for herself that he wasn't injured and was safe from harm.

"Tch." she scoffed, racing through the street, examining each person she passed with worried eyes. "Dad . . . where are you?!" She came to a halt in front of a stall and stared at a man with broad shoulders and dark brown hair conversing with a petite, blonde haired woman. Dad? she wondered, slowly making her way halfway through the crowd blocking her path, she froze as the man turned around---it wasn't her father, rather a man with deep brown eyes and a wide nose, a thick mustache lurking beneath it.

Aoife blanched and immediately rushed out of the crowd, running a hand through her loose auburn locks, she dropped her gaze to the dirt-covered path beneath her feet. "Where the hell are yo---?"

"Aoife!" shouted a man to her left, causing her head to immediately whirl upward and in the direction it'd came from. "Aoife!" Her heart nearly skipped a beat as her father shoved past the crowd and into her view.

"Father!" she exclaimed, rushing up to him as he did the same. He picked her up into his arms and spun her around, gripping tightly to her from the sheer joy of knowing that his daughter hadn't fallen in battle. Aoife hugged him back and was placed back on the ground.

Liam stared at her, his hands on her shoulders, and light blue eyes glistening with glee, and tears brimming at the edges from the sight of Aoife. "I see you kept true to your word," he said with a chuckle.

She nodded then shoved off both of his hands. "I never lie about something as serious as that," she said, smiling, "especially when lives are on the line."

He ran his index finger along the rim of both of his eyes and sniffed up the snot threatening to ooze from his nostril. "That's good to know, Aoife."

"Hey!" exclaimed a woman as she rushed over to Aoife, a pleading expression etched upon her aging face.
The auburn haired girl turned around and stared at her, curiously. She stopped in front of Aoife and took ahold of the girl's hand. "You're one of them soldiers, aren't cha?" Aoife slowly nodded, unsure as to why this woman was clutching her hand as though she'd known her her entire life. The woman's dark brown eyes widened momentarily before she asked, "Do you know of my granddaughter?!"

Aoife glanced back at her father, a flustered look in her eyes before gazing back over at the elderly woman who was staring at her with pleading deep brown eyes. Raising an eyebrow, Aoife asked, "W-Who is your granddaughter, ma'am?"

The woman shook Aoife's hand up and down rapidly, the tears building in her eyes. "Sera! Sera Ketish!"

At that moment, Aoife's heart felt as though it had plummeted to the pit of her stomach. The fact that she'd become friends with the girl and witnessed her death caused her hands and whole being to tremble in remembrance of that girl's death. Her blue eyes widened, wavering as they remained blank they had become overwhelmed by the many emotions coursing through her mind at rapid speeds.

"A-Aoife," interrupted Liam, placing his hand on her shoulder, sending a shiver down the mortified girl's spine. "Aoife," he said again, more sternly.