Chapter 14: The Journey

{Note: If this makes no sense and is boring, I won't blame you for skipping this chapter.} ( ̄▽ ̄)

"Take risks with your life because we all die in the end. Oh, and do remember: you'll want to keep some pillows on hand as well for the falls you might face on the way there."

[Third Person POV]

"Well, Ms. Callaghan, it would seem as though you're free to go," said the gray-haired nurse as she handed Aoife the clipboard with a discharge form on it. "You'll have to sign your name here and you can leave." She pointed the pen at the bottom, then gave the writing utensil to the girl.

Aoife stared at the print only for a second, then signed her name. The nurse smiled and took the clipboard from the girl. "Just be more careful if you find yourself fighting more of those things, okay? We don't need to lose anymore soldiers than what we already have these past couple of weeks."

The auburn-haired girl lowered her gaze to the floorboards as her legs dangled over her bed. Aoife knew the nurse was right, almost thirty soldiers had been lost within that very room and perished excruciating deaths from their severe wounds and infections. "It's been too long," she whispered, reaching down to grab her refurbished uniform and knee-high brown leather boots.

Slipping off of the bed she walked to the room designated for those leaving and looking to change out of their hospital attire. Not wasting a single second, she rushed into it, closed the door behind her and slipped into her soldierly outfit. She paused before she slipped on her creamy-colored shirt, her dull blue eyes fixated on the bandaged up area on her lower left side---where her scar had been re-opened then stitched back up by the nurses. The only thing I have to remember you by, she thought, furrowing her eyebrows in sorrow, is this scar, Ryan.

Dressing herself fully, she tied her hair back with a small dark band she'd found lying on the floor and opened the door to exit out of the room and enter back into the room filled with injured Cadets and Garrison soldiers. A nurse suddenly brushed past her shoulder and accidentally dropped a syringe, to which Aoife bent down and picked it up, handing it back to her. The young woman thanked the girl and accepted the object, then left her sight.

Now, she thought, setting her sights towards the stairwell, it's time to uncover the truth. She bundled her hands into tight fists and hurriedly made her way up the stone steps and outside of the massive building and into the morning sun's blinding light.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

"All other Cadets have chosen their regiment, except for you and a select few; choose yours now or we'll choose for you."

Aoife examined the two symbols lying upon the table where the Garrison soldier was sitting: one of two roses, both on opposite corners of the badge, their thorns intertwining and leading to form a set of swords at the bottom; and the other of a pair of wings overlapping one another, the right wing was white, while the left was blue (from Aoife's perspective).

After surviving through the horrors of Trost and Shiganshina, she thought, her gaze fixated on the Garrison regiment's symbol, I don't plan on going back on my original choice. She smirked and slid her hand over the wings.

"The Survey Corps." she said, lifting her hand off of it.

"The Scouts Regiment?" asked the man, his thick burgundy eyebrow raised. "Are you sure? I mean . . . if you're in the Scouts you'll have to go into the territory with those Titans---risking your lif---"

The auburn-haired girl nodded, silencing the man immediately. "I'm not a coward," she said, her tone serious and sharp. "If I allow the Titans to force me into cowardice ways, that's when I've truly lost my humanity and accepted the position of the prey."