Chapter twenty four- A little prouder than when I stepped in

Start from the beginning

" Hey, if you never got married to him I wouldn't have been born. You love me" I was practically grinning from ear to ear.

That's the thing about chats with my parents, my mom jokes and makes you laugh, my dad makes you look like an idiot and still makes you laugh.

  They were amazing.

" That's the only consolation I'm holding on to sugarplum. You and your angry bird sister. " She always gave nicknames to me everytime she calls and unlike most guys, I was never embarrassed about it even if she called me that in public. I liked it, it made me feel like she's the closest person to me on this earth and shockingly she is.

  I laughed at her description of Lovelyn.

" But hey, I'm your favorite right?" I whispered like i was on a death mission, and truly I am. If Love hears about this we're doomed for a week.

" Bear in mind that I gave no answer to that" She whispered back to me.

  The both of us laughed at our five seconds game and my mom speaks up.

" This isn't my major reason to call, I'm on this line because of a picture you sent to me of two girls with yourself "

   Someone had randomly been taking photos at the event and at the end I met the man for a soft copy of all the photos he took.

  They were really good. But the one mom is referring to is when Michelle walked up to me in the party with Iris by my side.

" Yeah, what about it?" I sat against my table and dusted off a speck of brown shade on my knee.

" What do you mean what about it!?, you idiot tell me which one is Michelle, you know I've been dying to see the girl who stole my son's heart. Please tell me it's the dark haired one with the white gown. Damn boy she looks gorgeous. Though a bit on the short side but she isn't too small i guess " The naughtiness in her lasts words were bloody obvious!

  But I'm about to disappoint her hopes of who Michelle is.

" Mom, Michelle is the girl with the red hair "

  She halted for a while and I was begging the gods so she wouldn't be disappointed in my choice.

" She looks good too" I sighed with relief and released a breath I didn't remember holding.

" But who's the dark hair?" She asked, clearly trying to understand why she was by my side.

" Mom that's my replacement secretary "

" Secretary? Why go with your secretary to a Gala?" I forgot that i never mentioned this plan to her.

" I forgot to tell you. Mr Reid doesn't know about Michelle and I " I bit my bottom lip and waited for it.

" You forgot such information? How old are you? Eighty?" She was clearly annoyed.

" I'm sorry Mom "

" You better be. But did you make your intentions known that night?"

" No, I didn't " She's gonna burst a truck load right now.

" No!?, why? And why go with your secretary? You could have just hung around Michelle to give him the hint"

" That's the thing. I don't want him to catch any hint".

" Son, I never taught you gibberish so speak to me in the language I would understand!"  From the person she is, her temper is only counting seconds.

" I went to the gala for a business deal with Mr Reid that's why I carried my secretary along. I don't want Mr Reid to know about Michelle and I so he won't assume I'm trying to bribe my way into the business. Another reason why my secretary sufficed " I was sure not to let a hint of my intentions with Michelle slip by.

  The only people currently aware are Chance, Mason and sadly Iris. But they can keep a secret.

" Hmm... That's understandable. What's your secretary's name?" Her soothing voice enough to keep me calm.

" Miss Shawn. Iris Shawn " The moment those words escape my lips, I remember the days I usually called Iris by her last name.

Not my most pleasant memories of late.

" Well, she's pretty " A little recognition in her voice.

" Take good care of yourself okay? I need to speak a little with your father "

" Okay Mom. I love you "

" Love you more cupcake "

  That was all before the beep.

   I glanced down at my screen and the time says two O'clock sharp.

I have lunch with Michelle.

  I close up everything before me temporarily and took Iris's notepad along with me.

  On my way out I walked straight into her office with the same disrespect she displays to me.

  Her demeanor watchful as I stride to her table.

I was a little proud at myself for the effect our encounter had on her.

  She was a lot better to work with when she was sealed shut.

  I dropped off her notepad with a simple instruction.

" Document the one's I've attended to. I'll be right back "

  She only gives a nod and I turn to walk out.

A little prouder than when I stepped in.