Chapter 17

It had been six days and Dean was still in a coma. Everyone took shifts of staying the night, which allowed everyone else to go home and rest. However, Castiel couldn't sleep alone. The bed felt cold and empty, and it was impossible to sleep so he spent the long nights distracting himself with books or school work. He also began looking for another place to stay because he was currently staying at Jessica's place. He was grateful, but it wasn't home.

Tonight was Castiel's turn to spend the night at the hospital with Dean. It was late at night - maybe 2am - and he was struggling to sleep. He would doze off every now and again, but he would wake up after an hour. Although he was holding Dean's hand, it wasn't the same as being wrapped in Dean's arms. The warmth radiating off Dean's body whenever they cuddled always soothed the anxiety and stress inside Castiel.

Castiel woke up when he felt someone squeeze his hand. Immediately, Castiel woke up and watched Dean carefully. Dean's fingers twitched in his hand before his eyes fluttered open. Castiel's heart skipped a beat. He stood up and leaned over Dean and smiled down at him. "Hey", he said in a calm voice as his hand was holding Dean's face.

"Cas?" Dean asked in a hoarse voice.

"Shh, don't talk", Castiel stated. "Just relax. You're in the hospital. You've been in a coma for six days. The fire did some serious damage: a few broken bones and a couple burns. But you're okay now, that's all that matters. Sam is staying with Jess, I've been staying there too until we can find somewhere else. Everyone has been taking shifts to stay with you". Dean nodded slowly, his body aching with pain.

"I'll go get a doctor", Castiel declared before getting off the bed, but Dean grabbed his wrist to stop him from leaving.

"Stay", Dean croaked.

"Okay. I'm not going anywhere", Castiel replied. He could see Dean's eyes begin to droop slightly. "You should sleep; I'll stay here and watch over you". Dean nodded and closed his eyes. Castiel held his hand and watched him sleep. Relief washed over him as he sat in the chair. He's awake, he thought, Everything's going to be fine now.

Eventually, Castiel fell asleep too.

<3

When Castiel woke up, he felt someone's hand brushing through his hair. It calmed him. He looked up to be greeted with bright green eyes and that smile that he fell in love with. Instantly, he smiled and stared at his handsome boyfriend. Castiel had missed moments like this, so he was trying to revel in it as much as possible before it ends.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Better", Dean replied. His voice didn't seem as broken and hoarse as last night, so maybe he was better. "The doctor came in this morning when I woke up. They were going to wake you, but I could tell you needed sleep. After they had removed all the wires and tubes, they left. You've been asleep for almost an hour. How much sleep did you get while I was out?"

Castiel smiled shyly. "Not much", he admitted. "The bed felt lonely".

"Aww, did you miss me?" Dean joked.

"Yeah", Castiel said, not caring if he looked pathetic. "Although we've only been together for about a month, I can't seem to sleep without you. The bed was too big. It was cold and empty. I found it impossible to sleep, so I spent my time doing school work, or looking for another place to stay because we can't live with Jess forever. Maybe we should look for a one storey house so we don't get more injuries than necessary".

Dean chuckled. "Yeah, that would be best".

It wasn't long until everyone else arrived. They all greeted Dean with a hug and they spent the day talking about what happened over the six days of Dean being in a coma. The day was good and it wasn't until a doctor came in to check up on Dean when they found out when he would be allowed to leave. Apparently, he could go home in three days.