'Yes, I am a Stokerman.'

@ spiraltimes

It seems more and more players are lining up to enter through the creaking doorway that leads into the new Spiral game-world called 'Fountellion'. Well, beyond the enticing, ivy-covered appearance there are already those who have played it - and 'failed' (if that word can be applied).

Here's an entry from (an anonymous) gamer we've been in touch with, via their blog, and have been allowed to re-post here:

'My role is simple: to hunt players on the island. It's my only objective; to feed the growth of the Spire, which increases in power the more players we can snatch up and bring back.

It's a like being in continuous Hunter Mode, and where the flying and maneuvering – although haphazard is – pretty addictive, as though the gravity is very light; so we have to push ourselves off in desired directions. My favourite part is launching out into the air from the Spire. I sometimes dream about it. We're like boatmen of the sky, but a lot more scary... and, rightly so....

It's awakened some very instinctive emotions of hunting and catching, to be honest. Very primordial.

My first 'steal' was a guy I pinned to the ground next to a great tree. He'd been changed into a lynx for a while [the game allows players to transform into animals] but had become more and more visible to us. It was... great. He'd just been playing the hero, trying to save another player or something as he wore the Green Band. Ha! But then I get him! Although he didn't struggle on my spear that much, which was disappointing. Since becoming the latest Stokerman, his avatar has refused - so far - to come out hunting. Apparently, he might already have been one of us, before... but... my guess is he still craves gameplay as much as anyone. Yeah, I can see it: he'll break before long. Join the ole' gang again.

I remind myself that we're an essential part of the game, for without us, players would not be compelled to improve their gameplay; to progress. Instead, they could start to drown in the feel of the fabric, or the mastery of creatures, get lost in exploration, the needs of survival or the familial bond it's possible to forge with the natives.

How I miss all that... But for now, I get to haunt the island, and round up the campers, griefers, would-be heros... the losers. I get to witness the more self-reliant players prevail (outside of the village) and the stupid ones die. It should make for some highly viewed captures, believe me.

It's quite a feeling when I catch a player. It's better than catching fish anyway, because these new fish increase our powers, and they join our team!

What's in it for me, you might be wondering? Since, I'm banished from playing the main quest. Locked out of it. Well, I still have work to do, because the only way I will ever get back, is to help re-set the game. This can only happen once I and my comrades 'steal' all the remaining players on the island. At least it's not spectating; it sure passes the time.

In fact, without my skills with a stoker it would render the insights... obsolete. But they should not be obsolete. People have always sought answers. We have always sought to learn our place within a fabric such as this, or to remind ourselves. It may be easier than we imagine.

Once we've got everybody, us Stokers can be free... and return to our own quests. I know we will be marked with the Green Band, but I'm quite glad to experience both sides of the game. When I'm free again I will keep playing until I find the final insight and have completed a good game, and am redeemed...

He tells us, at least, that we'll be freed, when we have attained 'the utmost power'. We have a 'big boss', you'll be interested to know. Or he's more like, a voice outside our door. It's quite... motivational... or, enough to cause shivers down your spine. You'd have to meet him yourself to understand. Maybe you will... He calls himself 'the Bleak Lord Muse'. It's easier to call him Bleakmuse. Or 'ole Bleaky'.

He reminds us that not only must we build the Spire but that our power is linked to the Fire, beneath the mountains. Only with more 'steals' will it burn brighter... However, with still only a few to our credit such fire remains diminished and we stay... old. It is harder to fly.

Bleakmuse only enters the room (where we - our avatars - are 'held') to explain our 'situation' to new captives. We must accept it; this state of affairs. We're effectively exiled from the main game. However, thus also do we all share one potent thing in common: a hunger to get back there.

With our latest arrival, Bleakmuse spoke longer than usual. Then he left... angry... which was interesting but I've no idea why. I've not seen this before, I must say. But it made me feel relieved these narrow-minded, enigmatic NPCs [non-player characters] are bound to the games where they dwell, or were made. If ever any of them escaped - into our Source - then I fear for its safety!

In the meantime, pioneers and players of Fountellion: fear me. For I am a Stokerman. And in there, on the island, I'll be waiting... and searching... for you... 

You can run, but that's all, since you can't hide for long, no matter what form you assume.'