Chapter Eighteen: Future Plans

Lin's POV

    We finally finished running through the blocking of the last three songs of Act One and wrapped up rehearsal. Seriously, our choreographer was a drill sergeant.

    I stood talking to Leslie about Groff's upcoming surprise birthday party that was scheduled two weeks from now. We's been dating for a few weeks now and had only gone on one date, so I wanted to make this special to make up for it.

    Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Groff talking urgently to the Schuyler Sisters. The girls looked super happy. Huh. Wonder what that was about.

    We finished discussing the minute details and I waved goodbye. Everybody was heading out to enjoy the rest of their free day, so I headed over to collect my boyfriend and follow suit. Sebby was waiting for us.

    Groff noticed me heading towards him and panic flashed across his face. He shushed the girls and shooed them away. I raised my eyebrows. Maybe he was planning something too. My birthday had already passed, so it couldn't be that. I decided not to ask him, or I'd feel guilty and tell him about my own secret plans.

    "What's up, Groffie?" I asked cheerfully, wrapping him up in a quick hug.

    "Nothing," he responded guiltily.

    I gave him a curious look. I couldn't help it.

    He caved. "Alright, I'll tell you." Groff looked around the now-empty room, obviously nervous.

    This made me a little scared. Groff was rarely nervous. Oh my god, was he cheating on me? I instantly dismissed the subconscious thought. He'd never do that.

    When he continued to stare at the floor, I asked, "Here or at home?"

    "Home," Groff muttered.

    The ride home was very tense and awkward. I grew more and more worried as we neared our apartment. Was he sick? Did something bad happen? What was going on?

    We finally reached our apartment and I sat down on the couch, wishing that Sebby was home from daycare. He was such a good cuddler, I knew I'd feel so much better facing whatever this was.

    Groff sat across from me and sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I don't really know how to start this. It's nothing bad, I just don't know how you'll react."

    My body relaxed. Oh, thank goodness. No bad news.

    "I'll keep an open mind," I told him. I still couldn't help feeling a little panicky.

    Groff saw the feelings written across my face. In a flash, he had his arms wrapped around me and was stroking my hair.

    "No, don't worry," he soothed. "It's good news. Really good news. Netflix approached me after seeing an early cut of Looking and offered me a series."

    The panic I'd barely held at bay crashed through the barriers, barreling through my body. My mind went hazy and I started to shake violently. Something in my subconscious realized I was having a panic attack.

    "It's going to be called Mindhunter, and we'll have to live apart," Groff continued before realizing I was shaking. "Lin! Lin! Oh, shit, I should've thought of this."

    He laid me down on the couch as emotions swirled through me, so powerful I couldn't even comprehend what was happening.

    When my mind finally cleared and I could breathe again, I noticed Groff's pale face hovering above mine. "Groff?" I croaked.