Chapter Five

This chapter was written/created in August 2018.

". . . . Stupid question and all, but . . . are you all right?" Cornelia suddenly heard Irma's unexpected, and personally uncharacteristically concerned voice sound next to her within the midst of her previously private breakdown.

If she had had enough energy to do so, Cornelia would have promptly gathered her wits about her, replace her usual mask of control before then most likely saying something rather dismissive toward the usually goofy housemate; however, given how incredibly trying this Monday morning was already shaping up to be, Irma's company was almost a Godsend.

Almost.

Nonetheless, Cornelia remained uncommonly silent, save her now quieting sobs as she slightly turned her back toward the awkward, yet patiently standing Irma, who was now pondering how next to handle the quite unfamiliar territory.

Pausing a moment, she exhaled gently as she suggested, "Well . . . while I can be as open as the next person, methinks I'd still prefer a bit of privacy during a crying fest, so . . . why don't we at least head back to the room if you don't want to talk?"

It was surprisingly a lot easier than Irma initially thought it might have been to wrangle her new roommate back into their dormitory, as it had taken Cornelia only a brief moment to seemingly think over her options before shakily rising to her feet and followed the brunette inside, almost within a zombified sort of manner.

Irma could only watch with mounting uncertainty as the traditionally confident teenager tiredly settled down onto the edge of the only still made up bed within the room, as Irma's school bag and picked out clothing for that morning were still splayed out onto the other next to it.

Wondering for a few moments whether or not she should leave the visibly shaken girl alone, after all, or at the very least, do so within search of Elyon in order to replace her admittedly weakened efforts of consoling, Irma felt surprised when she suddenly heard Cornelia speak at the same time the door to their dorm room was quietly sealed.

". . . . I-I . . . I bet you didn't . . . didn't expect this when you got up this morning, did you?" she actually managed to jest in between light sniffling, her face still quite reddened and puffy, although the crying had thankfully appeared to have ceased.

Irma could only blink at this a moment, once again feeling quite at a loss for words and personal experience on how next to respond.

Had it been Hay Lin to be within dire need of a pep talk, Irma would have honestly had the generally content girl back on her feet within no time, much as she usually had during their two year friendship.

But because this was Cornelia . . . it was honestly as though Irma was currently grappling with a particularly tricky Danger Room training session, or something just as intense.

Still, she'd made a point to let herself be known to the emotionally wounded girl in the first place, and judging by her last, honestly unrestricted comment, Cornelia was clearly feeling rather vulnerable and willing to listen to whatever it was Irma might say.

And so, she did.

". . . . No. No, I really didn't. But then, I also never expected within a million years that my toothbrush would now be hanging right next to yours from now on, either," Irma replied, hesitantly at first, before managing a light smile as she risked throwing in her patented humor into the mix for good measure. Seeing that doing so didn't turn off the otherwise serious girl as it usually would (at least, not yet), Irma continued. "But, about that . . . look. I'm . . . sorry if my reaction earlier upset you so much that it . . . made you cry, Cornelia. Really. I was just . . . I am still pretty bummed, myself, that I don't get to bunk with Hay Lin, anymore, that's all – And I'm sure you feel the same way about Elyon. It wouldn't really have mattered whom The Prof shackled me to – N-No offense."