CHAPTER 27

Arjun's POV:

The court was dismissed and I went straight to Dharani's room. I didn't follow any protocol, no knocking, nothing just bashed in straight. She was standing in the balcony of her room staring outside.

"What is it with you walking away without even listening to the complete judgment? Do you even know that I...."

"You punished Tej as well," she interrupted me. "I've known you enough to predict that."

"Then what is it that is bothering you. You cannot expect me to let go of Swetha without doing anything. That's against my principles and I believe you know it. I arrested Deepak despite him being one of my closest. How can you expect that just because Swetha is your friend......"

"It' not about she being my friend," Dharani said in a raised voice, "and please don't ever say I am supporting her because she is my friend. I would do the same if someone else was in her place. She is a victim, not a criminal and forget about Swetha; did you even think about the message that your judgment would give to the citizens of Minjan in general. Women of Minjan might not even dare complain or do something about their abusive husbands because yes Arjun will punish their husbands for sure but he will also make sure that the wife goes to jail as well. Really Arjun?"

"Oh please, stop being a pessimist," I said further elevating the argument. I know this might initiate the downfall of our relationship and trust me I tried to control myself but I just couldn't. I could compromise on anything but not on my principles. I've built them over time after facing many bitter experiences.

"It would give the message that you should react before it is too late and stop trying to save someone just because he is your husband. It would give the message that women of Minjan should be bold and stand for themselves like how Priya did. Swetha didn't tell anyone about her husband. Forget about complaining in the court, she didn't even let you take independent action, did she?" I asked.

Dharani remained silent and I got my answer.

"Whatever, I still don't agree with your decision," she said as she turned trying to walk away. I held her by the wrist, just the way I did in Anjan while she tried to sneak into the private chamber and she opposed me just the way she did the first time.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I want to meet Swetha. She might have a mental breakdown," she said as she tried to free herself. I made sure that my feet are away from her. If there is anything I learned from spending time with Dharani it is to be cautious of the hidden rebel in her.

"I am sorry, you can't," I said with a heavy heart. She sensed the pain in my voice but was angry with me at the same time. "You can only meet on weekends," I continued.

"I am going to meet her now. Stop me if you can," Dharani said as she forcefully freed her hand away. 

I caught her again and pulled my sword out.

"How about a battle?" I said, "You can meet Swetha if you win and you will listen to me if you lose."

Dharani paused for a while. Maybe she was remembering all the sweet memories we had in the last battle. I let her hand go. She didn't even notice that. Nevertheless, she bought herself out.

"I am ready," she said as she pulled her sword out and turned towards Priya. Oh wait, Priya was here all the while. I never saw her.

"We need some privacy Priya," she said in a polite way. I wouldn't lie. I was really impressed by the way she was able to change her tone real quick.

"Dharani...are you sure..." Priya asked constantly shifting her gaze between both of us. Dharani nodded and Priya left.

Now it's time for battle. I, as always, initiated the battle and Dharani as always started giving me a tough competition. The battle went on as if it was never going to end. This time it was emotionless. No love no hatred, just war. I have no idea of time but I did realize that we were fighting for longer than the usual time the fight should end. Since the curtains were closed, I didn't even have an idea of whether the sun has set. Suddenly we heard a huge bang on the door and Acharya stepped in. We stopped our battle, out of pure respect and shock.

Dharani's POV:

"What in the world are you two up to?" Acharya asked as his anger raged around the room. "Do you even know that you were fighting for the past three hours?"

Wait what? We were fighting for three hours? I bet that's a record for both of us. We've never had an opponent that would compete with us for more than 60 minutes.

"Well, actually Acharya..." I tried to explain.

"Priya told me everything, " Acharya interrupted. "Seriously kids? Is battle the way to sort out your differences? We gave a kingdom trusting you people and is this all you could think of? Don't you realize that when you two battle it is going to be a never-ending war? This is a huge disrespect not just towards us, but towards Minjan as a whole."

 I tried to explain but Arjun interrupted.

"We didn't think about that, Acharya," he said, "We were wrong and we deeply regret our actions. We are ready to do whatever you think would be the right consequence for our acts."

Are you serious, Arjun? You are literally asking Acharya to punish us. What's wrong with you? Why the hell are you giving hints to Acharya?

"You need to realize the depth of your responsibilities," Acharya said, "For that, you need to know your kingdom and your people, not as royals but as common folks. Leave the palace right now and live on your own for a week among the common people. I am sure no one would recognize you as long as you don't display your sword skills."

(Hey guys, thank you so much for making it till here. Please vote and comment. Also, let me know if you have any predictions about the upcoming chapters. The next chapter will be published on 10 December 2018. So stay tuned. Thank you and love you all.)