CHAPTER 10

Arjun's POV:

I lifted Dharani in my arms and took her to her room and laid her on the bed. As I turned back to get some water my eyes fell on a letter beside the jug. I didn't intend to read the contents but the letters were big enough for me to read.

"Finally I am 20. Happy Birthday, Dharani!" was written on it. Things suddenly started to make sense. God, it's her birthday! That was the reason she was excited when I knocked at her door. Maybe she was expecting her family and what did I do? I made her face her worst nightmare. I felt frustrated and angry at myself. The thought of me spoiling one of the most precious days of her life started killing me from inside. 

"Damn it" I whispered hitting my hand on the wall. What have I done? Facing Dharani now would be the hardest thing to do. Okay, Arjun you should have thought this before. Now face the consequences wake her up. Face her. 

I sprinkled some water and she woke up. "Dogs, dogs everywhere," she screamed the moment she gained consciousness.

"Relax," I said holding her tight, "I am with you, relax."

She let me hold her for a while before gaining back her senses. She then pulled herself away.

"You took me there," she said staring into my eyes. I looked away. How can I face her?

"Yes, but it was a genuine help that turned out to be a disaster, " I said looking at her again. "I just wanted you to get rid of your phobia."

"Help? Am I not your enemy? Who would help an enemy?" she asked still looking at me.

"You would," I replied, "That's how you lost the first round of battle with me, remember?"

"And you told me I shouldn't have done that, remember?" she asked again.

"I did," I replied confidently. "However, that was during the war. For now, the war between us hasn't started yet and I only fight with equals. A strong enemy would challenge me to work harder and had it not been for the dog phobia that you had you would have been one of my strongest enemies."

 I was confident while answering but deep down I know that's not the complete truth. I wanted to help her because I want her to be the best. Why? I don't know or maybe I do but am not willing to admit it at this moment.

"I am sorry," I added. "I didn't know it is your birthday today. I would have postponed all this to some other day had I known before and I also apologize for not taking all this step by step. If you want me to do anything as a punishment for my actions, you can tell me."

She shook her head. She didn't want to punish me. That's insane. I casually pulled out a kitchen knife and gently made a small cut on my palm. She was shocked. She quickly grabbed my hand, took the cloth beside her and started tying it to my hand.

"Are you mad or what?" she screamed. "Why do you do this?"

"I wouldn't have a right to punish others for their mistakes if I don't punish myself, for mine" I replied.

"Such baseless logics. I didn't complain to anyone about you," she said as she continued tying my hand, "You do know right, it would hurt  like hell during the training."

"Let it," I said, "At least next time I take you to meet dogs, I would not be guilty."

"We are going again?"  she asked looking at me surprised.

"What makes you think we are not?"

"I am not coming."

"Yes, you are. You are not a coward Dharani. Don't try to be one. You will fail."

I picked up the juice I just made for her a while ago while she was unconscious.

"Have it, " I said giving it to her. She shook her head.

"I don't want it," she said.

"Don't be a kid, Dharani. It is pomegranate juice. You like it, I know."

"How do you know?" she said taking the glass.

I was observing her since the day we met. I observed what she chose in the dinner and also observed her choices in the camp but I didn't want to tell her that.

Thankfully our conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Dev.

"Happy birthday Dharani!" he shouted as he ran inside and hugged her. "Pack your bags both of you. We are going to Mitra for Dharani's birthday celebrations. No training today, Arjun. It's Acharya's order."

"Yeah, sure." We canceled the training for that day and started for Mitra. As we were going I moved my horse beside that of Dev.

"What does your sister like, Dev?" I asked trying to be casual. I actually wanted to get something for her birthday.

"Everything," Dev replied.

"I mean there should be something she always wanted but never had. Think about it."

"She is a simple person Arjun," Dev replied, "She never really longes for anything. Even a rose could make her happy. Speaking of which, she does have an affinity to rose plants. She likes to have them around."

All right. Now I know what to do.

(Hey guys, thank you for reading this chapter. Please vote and comment. The next chapter will be published on 3 November 2018. Thank you. Love you all)