CHAPTER 9

Dharani's POV:

I did the best I could to help the soldier. I also gave him some energy drinks and sent him back to the training. The training took all day and I was impressed at how hardworking Arjun is. Neither did he take a break nor did he let any one of us take a break. We were on the ground all day except for occasional food breaks. Finally, the training ended at 9:00 pm. 

"Tomorrow some guard dogs will be joining us. You will be trained on how to make effective use of guard dogs during an investigation, " he said as he called the day off. My heart skipped a beat. I am terrified of dogs. I felt like screaming but I controlled myself. I shouldn't display my weakness in front of everyone. So I decided to talk to Arjun in personal and visited his private chamber.

"Are you alright?" he asked the moment he saw me as if he sensed that something is wrong with me. He really does have concern for me.

I shook my head. "I am afraid of dogs," I said or should I say whispered.

"One of the bravest warriors is afraid of dogs?" he said staring into my eyes.

"Everyone has their fears, Arjun. I am really scared of dogs."

"Then I will definitely get them," he said with a sheepish smile.

"I will complain to father, King Indra, and Acharya," I said completely aware of how stupid I sounded.

Arjun smiled and moved forward.

"Go ahead," he smiled again, "I have 1000 reasons to get the dogs here and you have only one reason to not get them and I believe an intelligent girl like you would know how stupid the reason is."

I was pissed. "Do you enjoy troubling me?" I asked trying hard to control my tears. I felt as if I was being targeted.

"Absolutely not," he said. His voice was full of sincerity and for the first time, he looked offended. Offended that I thought he would want to see me in trouble. However, he quickly went back to being serious. 

"I mean...I absolutely don't care how my actions affect you. I just do what I am supposed to do," he said. The transition was so fast that I doubted if he had ever said the words 'absolutely not.'

"Alright," I said as I walked out of the room hoping that Arjun would change his plans. I still remember that day, when I was a four-year kid. 

I was watching from afar while my aunt was picking flowers for me. Suddenly a pack of five guard dogs attacked her. I heard her scream in pain and saw as two dogs approaching me. They were showing their teeth. Three dogs were all over my aunt biting her mercilessly. Thankfully the soldiers came on time and both of us were saved. My aunt was deeply hurt and it took her two months to heal. I didn't have any scars on my body but there was one deep in my mind. A mental scar that made me fear dogs for the rest of my life. Later it was revealed that the guard dogs were replaced by some really aggressive dogs by a general who works for my uncle's enemies. However, that didn't change my fear. Nothing will.

Arjun's POV:

Dharani is afraid of dogs? That's ridiculous. She is brave. She shouldn't be afraid of dogs. I sensed it. I sensed her phobia, but I don't want her to give up or run away from her fears. She is brave enough to face her fears. She should face them, no matter how hard and I will make her do it. 

I woke up at 3:00 in the morning. I am supposed to get up at 6:00 but I woke up early to ensure that Dharani faces her fear. I silently walked towards her room and knocked on the door. She opened it after a while and she was still calm. Is she a superwoman? People get really mad when they are woken up from their sleep, yet she looked as if she was expecting me.

"I need you to meet someone," I said as my voice slightly shivered. But why? She is facing her biggest fears. Why am I worried?

"So soon," she asked really surprised.

Was she expecting someone? Whom? Why should I care anyway?

"Just come with me," I said as she followed me. She trusts me and what I am doing?

I took her to the middle of the field and signaled the soldiers to let the dogs out. I held her hand. She let me hold her unaware of my intentions. Suddenly around 20 dogs approached us from all sides. Dharani realized that she was betrayed. Her face turned pale.

"Leave me," she shouted. Her breathing got abnormal. Her eyes full of tears and she restlessly looked around to find dogs running towards her.

"Relax," I said as I held her tighter. I started regretting my choice. I never knew she feared dogs so much. Yet I decided to go on with my plan.

"Arjun. They are coming. They will kill me. Stop them," she said holding me tighter and moving closer and closer. Our shoulders were touching each other and I could see her shivering. Her fear made me stutter.

"Be brave..." I said holding her tighter, not to ensure that she doesn't run away, but to assure her that she is not alone. I am with her and will always be with her. Suddenly I felt her grip loosen and she fell into my arms. She felt unconscious.

(Hey guys, thank you for making it till here. Hope you like my chapter. Please vote and comment. You don't know how valuable that vote button is for me. Anyway, thank you once again for reading and the next chapter will be published on 1 November. Have a nice week ahead!)