Chapter Sixty Four

Start from the beginning

Isaac groans again and slowly but surely he starts peering up at his mother until his eyes are fully open and he's officially staring back at her, frowning, blinking a few times.

"M-mom?" He rasps.

Instant tears begin to stain her beautiful flawless face as she lets out some type of half suppressed laugh, relieved breath, "hi, baby boy."

He groans quietly, "where am I?"

"I'll go get the doctor," Mrs. Matteo's brother speaks from the back of the room, she quickly nods her head as he scurries out into the hallway.

"W-who is that?" Isaac continues to groan as his uncle who he's never met before leaves the room.

"No one, honey," his mom answers, and I quickly frown, but maybe it's for the best to hold off on the family reunion right now. "Do you feel okay? Do you need anything?"

"Everything hurts," he mumbles. "My mouth is so dry."

"I-I'll go get some ice chips," I say.

Isaac quickly looks over at me, his brows starting to clench together. "H-Hail?"

Unwanted tears start to surface as I try my hardest to smile without breaking down, "hi."

"You're actually here," his voice is husky, in desperate need of hydrating.

"She never left," his mom smiles, looking back at me now. "Come here, sit," she waves me over and I slowly walk to her. She gets up from the bed, "I'll give you guys some time, I should  probably go call your father, let him know that you're awake. I'll be right back," she leans down to kiss Isaac on the head. "I love you."

Isaac smiles softly, "I love you too ma."

Mrs. Matteo looks like she actually wants to cry and takes a quick second to gather herself and then leaves the room to call her husband, the love of her life, like she likes to say.

The rooms quiet for a few seconds, the only sound in here at the moment is the hospital heart monitor device thing. I don't dare to move a muscle, I barely want to breathe, afraid of completely crumbling in front of him, but I can't, I need to stay strong right now.

I take a deep breath and walk up to Isaac, reaching for his hand as he tries his hardest to keep his eyes opened and stay conscious.

"D-do you remember what happened?"

He nods his head, "I was shot."

I nod in return, my voice cracking, tears threatening to spill from my eyes, "y-you ran in front of me."

Isaac begins to smile slowly, opening his eyes he looks straight at me, running his tongue across his bottom lip. I can only imagine how dry they felt.

"I'd protect you with my life," he continues to smile.

A tiny sob escapes my lips as the light stream begins to pour from my eyes. "Please don't ever do that again," I squeeze his hand gently.

Isaac's smile only continues to grow as he lays their in bed, "I love you," he murmurs.

Another small sobs escapes my lips as I bend down to cup his face and kiss him on the lips.  I hover over him for a few more seconds until I'm breaking away from him, but stay close, our noses grazing each other. "I thought I lost you," I whispered. 

Isaac chuckles softly, "it's gonna take a lot more than a tiny bullet to get rid of me."

"I didn't think you were ever gonna wake up," I confess, tears spilling from my eyes.