Chapter 17

Two weeks later…

I don't like living with my aunt. She can't cook, so we have to eat out all the time. I missed gymnastics three times because I had to go with her to the studio. I hate going there because she stays forEVER! I miss my mommy.

"Okay, I was in the studio while you were in school. Let's get you to gymnastics," Aunt Giselle said.

"I don't have gymnastics today," I mumbled. "I want to see my mom."

She sighed and said, "I'm working on it, Gabby."

"Well work harder!" I yelled at her.

"Gabrielle, I'm not going to tell you again to stop-"

"I don't have to listen to you! You're not my mommy!" I yelled back.

I was mad. I was sad. I was scared.

Giselle watched as the small child backed up into the wall and slid down to the floor. She didn't know what to do. Gabby dragged her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs. She put her head down and started to cry. The singer went to comfort her goddaughter, only to be pushed away and yelled at. Gabby was always hot and cold with her. She had no idea what she'd get at any moment.

"Gabrielle, listen to me. I know I'm not the best Godmother or guardian. I really am trying. I need you to help me. I need you to talk to me. I can't know what you have going on if you don't, " Giselle softly spoke.

She waited, her breath stopped, anticipating Gabrielle's response. The young girl lifted her head from her knees with her sad, puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks. The guardian felt a big ache in her chest.

"I just want to see her. I only got her. Can you please help me see her?" the young girl pleaded, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Get up. Let's go," Giselle ordered.

She was fed up with the hospital and the stupid rules. Gabrielle was right. No child should go without seeing their parent for as long as she has. Giselle didn't care what she had to do, who she had to curse out, she was going to reunite her best friend and goddaughter. They hailed a cab and slid.

"Where to, ma'am?" the driver asked.

He looked in the rearview mirror. His mouth dropped open. There, in living color was his daughter and wife's favorite singer.

"No way! You're Beyoncé! My daughter and wife love you. You're all I'm allowed to listen to when we're in the car together," he rambled excitedly.

Giselle faked a smile while Gabby frowned. She didn't get what the big deal was. The young child tuned them out, focusing on the scenery outside of the window. The driver didn't ramble on and on, which Giselle was grateful for. It was one reason she couldn't take taxis very often. When they arrived to the hospital, the pair went in through the main entrance. They quickly made their way upstairs, actually using the staircase, since Giselle was so ill-prepared on this spur of the moment visit. When they got to the front desk, Giselle wasted no time in making her intentions known. Gabby was shocked at how forceful and in control the older woman was.

"Gabby, I'm about to take you to see your mom. Don't be afraid to talk to her. It might even help her wake up quicker," Giselle explained to the little girl.

She nodded. Not realizing it, she slipped her small hand into the hand of her godmother. Giselle, on the other hand had noticed. She felt it, other than the physical connection. She had never been physical with the small girl. She even went out her way to make sure they never even brushed past each other in hallways. Now, here she was, hand in hand. Her eyes stung as they welled up with tears. She took a deep breath and blinked a few times before quickly wiping her eyes, careful not to catch the attention of Gabby or mess up her eyeliner.

"Aunt Giselle, does she look different?" Gabrielle asked.

Giselle stood shocked on the elevator. The little girl had never called her "aunt" before…or said her name.

"A-a little," she stuttered. "She's hooked up to some machines. She may still have her head wrapped in bandages, but she's still Kelly inside. Okay?" Giselle explained.

She nodded and walked to Kelly's private room, still holding onto her godmother's hand. She was excited, but afraid. She didn't know what her mommy would look like or if she'd wake up once she heard her speak. She didn't know what she should say since her Mommy couldn't talk back. They arrived to the beginning of the hallway Kelly's private room was located. Almost as soon as her hand touched the doorknob, Giselle her her "stage name" being called.

"Wait for me right here," Giselle told Gabby.

She walked away, leaving the excited and confused little girl by the door. Seeing Giselle talk to a doctor very quietly, Gabby knew it'd be a while before they would get back to her. She was already there. What could going inside hurt? Without taking her eyes off the two adults, she quietly turned the knob and pushed the door open.

"Mommy? Mommy! You're awake!" she yelled happily.

She made a beeline for the bed and stopped when her mother's expression didn't match her own.

"Gabby! I told you to wait!" Giselle yelled running in.

"Giselle? What am I doing in here? What's going on?" Kelly asked.

"Mommy, you-"

"Gabby, wait outside-"

"No! You can't tell me what to do anymore. My mom is up and-"

"Giselle, who is this little girl? She looks an awful lot like you."

"Mommy, it's me! It's Gabrielle," the girl cried.

"Gabby, baby…the doctor just informed me that Kelly has amnesia. She doesn't remember anything after 1999."

"But...she doesn't remember me," Gabrielle almost whispered, tears running down her cheeks.