Chapter 7

Two days later, Kelly was in my dance classes. She didn't speak to me unless I spoke to her,  which I did only to be nice. I only said "hi" and "bye" most nights, and most weren't verbal. I never asked why she lied to me. Her answer would probably be a lie anyways. Even when I tried not to, I couldn't help but look at Kelly. She was a natural at dancing. I was a little jealous at how easy she picked up on everything. I didn't want to become a ballerina or dancer. I just need better technique and stamina. That's why I'm not completely jealous. I took a breath and walked over to Kelly.

"H-hey," I stuttered.

"Hey."

That was it? I thought she'd be over the moon that I came to her.

"You uh, you like the class?"

"It's okay."

I nodded and walked away. That was awkward. Ms. Doris came and offered me a ride home. I declined and lied, telling her I was taking the bus. I rode my bike home. Life at home is still the same. Raymond still is unemployed and spends his day watching TV and drinking beer. One difference is he watches soap operas now, the ones my mother likes and tells her the plots. They still argue, just not as much. I still lock my door whenever I'm home. With as much money as I have saved, I'm thinking about getting an outside lock and key, too.

"Salisbury steak dinner in the oven," Raymond said as soon as I opened the door.

I nodded. I went into my room and put my dance bag and stuff away. I got my clothes ready for my bath. I counted my money real quick. I had delieveries tomorrow, so I'd hopefully be adding $200 to what I have now...

At school, I was back to being alone. I didn't want to hang with JoAnne and her group. I just went off on my own. Today, I decided to sit in the gym, and Kelly was in here. But she wasn't alone, though she looked like she wanted to be.

"You hear me talking to you, right?" the boy asked.

Kelly's lips moved, but I couldn't hear what she said. He took his index finger and and it down her face. She flinched and I got angry, but I still didn't move. He moved closer to her and backed her up. She was pretty much trapped. I started to step back. Last time I stepped in to defend her, the girl tried to become my best friend. Friends are a distraction to what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to work 24/7, getting better at singing and dancing. I need-

"Please stop," I heard Kelly plead.

I snapped out of my head and back in the gym. The boy now had his hand up Kelly's shirt. I don't know why guys messed with her. It was like she had a freaking target on her or something. Anyways, I threw my things down, making a noise, then quickly hid. The guy jumped and moved away from Kelly. He looked at her, turned and walked off. I stood, still hiding. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to go to her, let her see that it was me that helped her again. But I didn't. I watched her cry. I watched her try to fix herself and leave the gym. I backed up more under the bleachers so she wouldn't see me when she walked past me. I whispered her name, ready to cry for her....

"Ms. Marron, how come you didn't become a famous singer?" I asked my music teacher.

"I don't know. I guess I didn't have the passion for it like you do. I like singing, but I really wanted to work with kids," she explained.

"Maybe you had too many distractions," I suggested.

"Distractions?"

"Yeah. I don't let anything or anyone stop me from practicing. I do pagents and now that I'm not scared, I'll do musicals and plays and talent shows at school. Then I'm going to do talent shows and pagents that give you big cash prizes or studio sessions," I explained.

"It's good that you're so determined. But, you don't want to miss out on your childhood." Look at Michael Jackson."

I shrugged. Michael Jackson was the best singer and dancer EVER. What's so wrong with working hard like Michael Jackson if you want to be as great as he is?

"Read up on him. Consider it an early start on your music project that I'm assigning next week."

"Okay Ms. Marron. See you later."

I waved and left her classroom. I'll go to the library tomorrow and read about him.

When I got home, my mother was home, too. She dat on the couch, smoking a cigarette.

"I'm shocked to see you home," she said, putting her cigarette out

"I have a project to do, so I came home to start on it."

"You hungry?"

I didn't get to eat lunch today because of what happened with Kelly. I shook my head.

"I didn't eat my lunch at school. I'll eat that instead."

"How come you didn't go to wherever you been going after school?"

"I, uh, I decided to keep to myself. She was a little distracting."

"Sometimes," she stood up, "Distractions are better for you than you know," she said, then walked away.

I was a little puzzled. How are distractions a good thing?
********* Vote And Comment************

1). Sorry it took so long to update. Anyways, poor Kelly. Did Giselle do the right thing?

2). What do you think Miss. Marron and Mother are trying to tell Giselle?

3). GASP! Mother was home...and had an actual conversation with her daughter. What's up with that?