Chapter 3

I sat down at my table before class started. I was in Home Economics today and I just didn't feel like being here. First Mother and Raymond argued about bills, then they ended up...gross. Turning my headphones up that loud to drown them out, I couldn't sleep. Now I'm sitting here ready to fall asleep.

"Good morning, class," Ms. Holman said, walking in the classroom.

I yawned and rubbed my eyes. She went to the front of the class and started going over today's assignment. I held my head up in my hand, struggling to stay awake. I got up and went to grab my unfinished work. I couldn't draw out a pattern to save my life, or my grade. I took a deep breath and picked up my pencil. The easy part was coming up with a design. I was pretty good at drawing and I thought myself to be very creative, so drawing a dress on a mannequin was easy to me. I had to make it simple and of course match the fabric we had available in class.

"This is very good, Kelly," I heard Ms. Holman compliment.

I stood up and walked close enough to see

I stood up and walked close enough to see. Kelly was a skinny girl. Her skin was darker than mine. She's what I imagine Whitney Houston looked like as a kid. She was wearing big, squared, pink glasses. Her french braids were too big and uneven and her dress reminded me of.the Shirley Temple movie "Heidi". She had to be new here. I do a lot of observing, so I'd have seen her before today. She had finished her pattern by the time class ended while I had finally starting the top part and was happier with it then the first three that I trashed.

"Good improvement, Giselle," Ms. Holman said over my shoulder. "Next class, I'll show you how to clean it up."

I nodded and let her collect it. I was getting in a zone and didn't want to stop. That's why she came to me.

"You're very determined. That's a good quality to have so young. Don't lose it," she said, holding my pattern up.

I blushed and thanked her. I headed straight to the lunch room. I skipped breakfast because I wanted to sleep late. I got in line and let the lunch ladies put the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and sweet peas on my plate. I got an orange and a lemonade and then wemt outside to the tables. The air will wake me up for my last class, science.

"What is this garbage?" A boy said, standing over a girl at a table.

"Please stop," she said, her head down.

The boy sneered and kept messing with her brown paper bag. It must've had her lunch in it. It was the girl from my home economics class, Kelly.  She looked close to tears. I rolled my eyes and walked over. I picked up my lemonade and poured it on his head. He screeched as the ice fell in his clothes.

"Watch where you're going next time," I said.

He was mad. His hands were balled up. He quickly pushed me. I oushed him back. He slapped me and I snapped. I tackled him and we both fell to the ground. Kids noticed and started chanting "fight fight". He rolled over and got up first. He raised his foot, but then his eyes crossed and everybody went "ooo". He fell to his knees, holding himself. Kelly walked around him and helped me up.

"Break it up! Break it up!" a teacher yelled.

A little late for that. The boy was still on the ground, curled up and holding himself. Kelly and I looked down at him, then at the teacher. The teacher did the same.

"Help him up and tale him to the nurse. You two, come with me," she ordered.

Now I'm sitting outside the principal's office woth Kelly and the boy. He was on the other side of the hall with an ice bag between his legs.

"How hard did you hit him?" I whispered to Kelly.

"I kicked him," she whispered back.

We started giggling to ourselves.

"I'm Giselle," I held my hand out.

She shook it and told me her name, even though I already knew it.

"Thanks for sticking up for me at lunch," she whispered.

I shrugged it off.

"Are you hungry? You can have half of my sandwich. It's ham and cheese. No mayo."

I didn't get to eat lunch and I was hungry.

"Okay. Thanks," I said and took the half she offered me.

"Do you wanna be friends?" she asked quietly.

I looked at her. She seemed scared that I would say no, but she looked like she was deady for me to say no. I didn't have friends. I didn't have time. I was always working to make money or working to be a better singer. She just kicked a boy in his private parts to make sure he didn't kick me. I smiled and held my hand back out.

"Friends," I laughed.

When she smiled, her face was really bright. She was so pretty, even with her big, nerdy glasses and her coarse hair.

"Friends," she repeated.

*Please read, comment and vote.
What do you think of young Giselle so far?*

A/N: It's a little slow at first, but it's just to give character development.