Chapter 9

I opened my eyes and my head was throbbing. The lights were bright, so I blinked a few times.  All of a sudden, there was a smiling face over me. It took me by surprise and I flinched.

"Well, hello there, " the smiling face said.

I sighed and slowly sat up. Movement wasn't my friend.

"At least I know I'm not dead," I whispered, a little too loud.

"No, but the driver of the car was really afraid you were. You didn't get hit, but you hit your head when you fell. You should really wear a helment when you ride a bike," she told me.

I do remember trying to turn away from the car. I skidded and my bike and I fell sideways. I guess I fell off or over and bangedmy head on the road. Or the sidewalk. That would explain the headache.

"How long have I been here?" I asked.

She held out a small paper cup and two pills to me. I sat up and took them out her hand. I put the pills in my mouth and took a mouthful of water, throwing my head back like I was taught.

"Gizzy, if you don't take it, then you have to take the syrup," Mother coaxed me.

I pressed my lips together tightly and shook my head again. Mother sat on my bed and put her arm around me.

"I'm going to teach you a trick. Take the pill and put it on your tongue," she told me and I did, still not sure.

"Okay, now take the juice and fill your mouth up," I did as she talked.

"Now, throw your head back like you're about to laugh really loud when you swallow, like this," she did it to show me.

I smiled and did like she did.

"Good job. Daddy's going to bring you some soup, okay?"

She kissed my forehead and I nodded....

When my daddy was still with us, my mother was my mommy. Speaking of Mother?

"How long I been here?" I asked again.

"Only an hour. We found your address in your bag, so we called your mom. She came and checked in on you, but you were still asleep and she got called away," she explained.

My mother is a nurse's aide. She was going to nursing school before Daddy left, but she couldn't afford to finish after he left. So she picked up a part-time job at a gas station.

"A doctor's going to come check in on you, we'll get your mom as well."

I nodded. Before she walked through the door, I stopped her.

"Hey," I called out, though it hurt my head.

"Can I use the phone?" I asked.

A Week Later....

"What time is it?" I asked Kelly.

"It's a quarter till eight," she said as we hopped on our bikes

It was a Sunday night. Not just any Sunday night, but THE Sunday night. It was Grammys night. I had deliveries all dah today. Ever since my small accident, Kelly has been going on my deliveries with me. I actually don't mind the company. I pay her, too even though I literally have to force it into her pocket.

"Let's take Gordon. We'll get there in 10 minutes, " I said, hopping on my bike.

My legs moved so fast. I know I'm going to hurt later. I didn't want to miss a second of the show. We got to my house with three minutes to spare. I started running to the door, then saw Kelly wasn't behind me. I stopped on the steps and turned around.

"Kelly, come on. We're gonna miss the beginning," I yelled.

I sighed and ran to her, then pulled her in the house. I guess she was nervous because my mother wasn't home. Little did she know, neither was Raymond. Who knew the guy actually had a friend?

"Come on. It's fine," I pulled her into the house. I turned on the TV and turned the volume all the way up.

I ran and stuffed my money in my box and grabbed my nominees list. Kelly and I sung and danced around during all the performances. I checked off my nominees list as it went along.

"Giselle, turn that TV down," Mother said when she walked in the house.

I crawled to the TV amd turned the knob to the left a little. Mother is always complaining of headaches, mostly when I'm around.

"Kelly, it's time for the big one," I announced near the end of the show. "It's gotta be Natalie Cole," I predicted.

"And Album of the Year goes to...."