Chapter 6

Zey POV:

I sat on the bed, thinking about what I said to Tobias. I remember the day my family died. Blood everywhere, terrible things, and promises ...

We were in the kitchen, eating plain food that Abnegation ate all the time. I stirred my spoon around my chunky chicken soup. 

"How was school today?" My father asked me and my siblings.

"Amazing! We learned so much!" My sister shouts, all excited. I rolled my eyes, continuing stirring my soup.

"How about you Zey? How was your day?" He asked, curious. I shrugged, not looking at him.

"It was alright, I guess," I muttered quietly. Then sirens sounded. These sirens are different that I ever heard. My father looked scared. He immediately got up and ran upstairs. My mom ran up to us, forcefully grabbed me and my siblings.

"Stay here with me alright. Don't ask anything." Mom said, calmly. I started to panic. I don't understand what is going on. I heard screaming going on. And gunshots sounded. I jumped. My siblings started to cry. My mom hummed a song, trying to calm them down. I was shaking. My father came running back down with a suitcase. He whispered something in my mom's ear. I stared at them.

"Zey?" My father spoke up. I looked at him, scared. "You have to promise me to keep this suitcase safe." He handed me the black suitcase. "I love you so much, dear." My mom said to me, kissing my head. "Promise me that you will protect your brother and sister." Then the door slammed open. My mom quickly pushed me to the closest closet, along with my sister and brother. And she slammed the door shut. I peek through the door side.

Dauntless soldiers came in and pointed their guns at my parents. Then gunshots sounded. And a sound of bodies falling to the ground. I covered my siblings' mouths, preventing giving off our location. I tried not to cry out. I felt hot tears running down my cheek.

Footsteps sounded, coming closer and closer to us. I hold my breath, muffled crying coming from my sister and brother. I tightened my grip of their mouths. I felt the suitcase next to me. I was shaking so much. Then I accidentally loosened my grip of my sister's mouth. She cried loudly. I quickly covered her mouth again. I took a deep breath, hoping that they didn't hear it.

But I was too late for that. Footsteps stopped and ran to us. They opened fire at us. We screamed. I fell down with my brother and sister. As I fell down, I kicked the suitcase more further to the door. I didn't feel any gunshots. That's how I knew my brother and sister are dead. I hold in my cry, pretending to be dead. I tried to hold myself together. They looked around and left. Once it was completely quiet, I cried out. I slowly got up and looked at my siblings. Their small bodies covered in gunshots.

I grabbed their little heads and rested them on my lap. I rocked back and forth, I placed my head between theirs. I felt warm blood on my hands. I didn't care. My sister and brother are dead. I cried harder. I lifted my head, kissed their tiny foreheads, and gently placed their heads on the floor.  I ran to my parents. My father's shirt was all red and soaked of blood. The same as my mother. I fell on my knees. I am all alone now. All alone. 

I rested my forehead against my mom's. I closed my eyes. "I am so sorry..." I muttered over and over again. I slowly opened my eyes and saw all my tears on her face. I kissed her forehead and went to my dad.

"I promise dad. I promise." I kissed his head as well. I went to the closet and went down on the floor, looking for the suitcase. I felt the handles and grabbed it. I pulled it out and looked at it. I opened it and there was a whole bunch of documents. I looked around and finally to my dad's feet. He is hiding these documents from them. I closed it, got up, and brought it to my chest.