Chapter 19~ Park It

Bryson's POV

  I've just told Victoria most of what has been bothering me these past few weeks and usually I wouldn't speak to anyone but my instinct said I had to.

"Let me have some of the wine," she says. I can see she's shaken.
Victoria. She is beautiful, delicate but in no way  prim and proper. She is attractive, but there is no way we could be more than cordial sex partners. I don't believe I have it in me.
I pour myself a glass of wine too and we both drink in silence.

"You're thinking... " I speak up.

" It is a lot to digest. I don't know if being associated with you is the right thing to do."

She gives me a small smile which I'm sure she intended to be an assuring one but I'm the furthest thing from assured at this point in time. I've always been calm, unreadable, non-reactive. But the way I'm feeling right now reminds me that I am actually human.

"I know this is probably obvious, but tell me why you wouldn't want to be in my corner?" I inquire.

"Because," she says straightening her shoulders, "I work for your father. I'm one of them."

Everything stops for minute and I'm searching her face for a trace of sarcasm, but there is none.

"Get out!" I shout angrily, shooting up off the bed.

I grab her by the arm in an attempt to bring her towards the door but she resists.

"You.. bitch!" I'm furious now and before I know it I've thrown her against the wall and I've got both hands around her neck.

I'm more angry at myself for being so stupid but I'm taking it out on her with so much force. I actually liked her. She's trying to scream, clawing at my face.

"Bryson I'm..." she chokes.

"Shut up!" I tell her squeezing harder.

"It's a joke!" The three words barely come out as she starts to turn blue.

As if there's fire in my palms I let her go and she falls to the floor.

"You take me for a fool? You think I'm stupid?" My British accent slips away as I yell at her.
Exasperated, I turn around and drop myself on the chair.

After she gathers herself, Victoria convinces me that she really was just messing around.

"From now on I'll keep it in mind that you have no sense of humour."

"You can not joke about this stuff Tori I could have killed you," I reply. My eyes are glued to her neck that is now so red you can see my finger marks.
I kind of expect her to be upset, terrified, seeing what just happened; but she comes over and sits in my lap.

"I'm okay," she says. She takes my lips with hers and kisses me gently, using her tongue to play with mine. It feels so good.
"See, we're going to be ok."

Oh no.

"Tori."

"Hmm?"

"You said, we... there can be no we. Me and you, we can't have sex again. Neither am I going to fool around with you now that you know my weaknesses. I only wanted to do it with you whenever I wanted. Nothing more. But now that you know my story, we can't go there. That complicates things," I tell her. "Now that I've told you I need to know if you're gonna ride for me, if you can be my friend, if you can have my back. But we can't be anything more."

She blinks rapidly and lets out a huge sigh.

"You don't trust me," she says.

"I don't trust that I can be more for you. I'm just not there yet."

"Okay. I'm down for you. Whatever you need, I'll be here. Well, except the sex. You're very bad at that," she says laughing at the last part.

"You're laughing at me," I reply, "I'm very good. You just won't get to have the good part."

I push her off my lap gently, then wrap her into a hug. Finally I have someone. Finally I won't have to carry the burden on my own. Let's see what happens from here.

                                       >><<

On my way to the park my windows are down, and the music is off. As I listen to the sounds of the night I wonder what I'm getting myself into.

I slow down and circle the park to see if I can spot Dargis. He is sitting on one of the benches, seemingly alone. However as I turn the corner I spot two men dressed in all black with their hands in their pockets.

"Oh so you actually did bring your rats to keep watch," I mutter.

I park my vehicle and walk across the grass to stand in front of the man in question.

"Why was your daughter in the UK?" this is the first thing I say to him.

"Research," he replies, "well you get right to the point I see."

"Research alright. She was sent here, watching me. For what? I don't even know you."

" We were working with the police, they want to get information on the big dog mafias that are running things around here. Your father is a troublesome man," he tells me. I'm not buying his story though. I don't believe it for one minute.

"I have nothing to do with my father so I can't help you. We don't speak, I don't know where he is. You and your wife should drop the antics too, you know I didn't kill her. So cut me out of your bullshit investigation."

"Okay Archer," he chuckles. "We will lay off you for now, but a reckoning is coming."

"I said I didn't have anything to with it. Siria..Alison.. I'm not responsible."

"Who is Alison?" He asks.

"Nobody."
I come to the realization he wasn't aware Siria was living with my cousin.

"You won't have any more problems at your job," Zachri says.

"My condolences." I tell him, walking away.

"If you're really involved with your father's FA business, we'll meet again."

Without acknowledging what he said, I light my cigar and puff, not even glancing at the watch boys hovering to my right.

________________________________